• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reviving a dead Gamecube... NEED HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zim2411

Ok.

So my friend's brother broke his gamecube. He gives it to me to see if I can fix it, and he goes and buys a new one.

Awesome! Free broken gamecube!!

So I find the problem. The disc holder thing is messed up. The disc isn't level, and when it turns on the disc wobbles and can't be read.

The thing that says PUSH on it, I pulled that off. A couple of peieces came out. The spring... the 3 metal balls, the push button, and these two little plastic rings.

I put the rings back and try it. The disc is level, but nothing "grabs" the disc. So put a peice of duct tape over the center of the disc. IT WORKS!!!!

After a while it stopped tho. Since the plastic rings were still loose, and not glued in, they would often pop out.

I finally got some super glue and glued em in.

Crap.

The disc isn't level.

The peice is super glued in and it isn't level.

HELP

BTW, I took a knife to try to scrape away some of the excess glue, which lessened the difference but it is still uneven.

HELP!!!! Is there anyway I can unglue it? Or does some one have a dead gamecube, and wouldn't mind mailing me the part I need?

I will try to post a pic or two later.

Edit: I also stupidly returned the game I was using to test it back to my other friend...

OP
Zim2411

Zim2411

damagedpart.jpg

There's a pic of the "damage."

Debonder? I'll ask my dad to pick some up on the way home...

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
You could try finding a broken discman or some sort of 'top-loaded' cd-player. If you are lucky the part that is broken could be replaced by a similar thing from another cd-player. If not, it should be more or less similar. Maybe you can adapt it...

OP
Zim2411

Zim2411

Argh... my sister stole my discman a couple of months ago and never gave it back. Now she doesn't know where it is. The only other top loading thing I have is my Dreamcast.

I AM NOT SACRIFICING MY DREAMCAST

Would an old cd drive work?

schismspeak

I would just try to reglue it straight, did you get the debond? and try to get those 3 little steel balls back in there place to hold the disc, then you wont have to use tape. A cd drive wont work, and it is pretty hard to get that ring mechanism off that holds the cd, i have tried it, your more likely to break the gamecube for good by trying to replace that, I would just fix the one that is on there.

OP
Zim2411

Zim2411

Hmm... the hobby shop is closed today, so I can't get the debonder now...

I lost the 3 steel balls... :(

The tape worked fine tho, just the inside rings would come loose and stuff.

Edit: I also got a testing game, and I'm going to go work on the problem.

DRxAndy

you could try to get a replacement optical drive from nintendo, but i doubt they sell them
its a panasonic drive anyway
uhh
mail it to me, i'll pay shipping :D
i need to get another cube to mod in accordance to my zelda pc case hehe

OP
Zim2411

Zim2411

DRxAndy said:
you could try to get a replacement optical drive from nintendo, but i doubt they sell them
its a panasonic drive anyway
uhh
mail it to me, i'll pay shipping :D
i need to get another cube to mod in accordance to my zelda pc case hehe

Never!!!

I'll get it working... sometime... whenever... and if I don't, I still have enough money to buy a new Gamecube... just reviving this one would be easier as it was free.

Also, DRxAndy, I don't think you're allowed to have offsite links in your sig with your current rank...

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
He's not, only Seniors are.

Back to the topic: if you post to the Wanted section, I'm sure someone could come up with a top-loading CD player, or a drive that will work.