• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rewiring lights ? (+1 small other ?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

Let's start with the simple question. Anyone recommend somewhere I can find some rubber mounts for my HDDs or should I just run to Home Depot and pick something up?

Now for the main question ...

I don't know if this is feasible at all (or even possible with wire layout), but thought it was worth asking. If at all possible, I'd like to rewire the fan LEDs (and any other case lighting) to a switch. Once I have this new setup going, it's going to light up like a xmas tree. Since I typically keep my system running through the night, it would be nice if I could switch the lights off.

Pie-rate

The hardest thing to do would probably be separating the LED power from the fan power. You could easily turn off the LEDs and fans, but it wouldn't be wise...
You'd have to mod each and every fan, unless the LED wires and the fan wires are already separate.

OP
A

Ach3r0n

Pie-rate said:
The hardest thing to do would probably be separating the LED power from the fan power. You could easily turn off the LEDs and fans, but it wouldn't be wise...
You'd have to mod each and every fan, unless the LED wires and the fan wires are already separate.

Agreed about the fans - definitely don't wanna shut those, just the lights. :)

Actually, the LED wires are seperate already but my knowledge of wiring is very limited so I could use some assistance in what I would need to pick up for the job (aside from the switch itself).

Last edited:

Pie-rate

I'd need to know more about the wiring. How are the LEDs connected to the power supply? A string of 4 pin molex connectors?

OP
A

Ach3r0n

The LEDs seem to be connected to the fan via a single wire with a 3-pin connector on the end. (looks like a 3, I'm looking through the case window). The fan itself has a seperate 4-pin molex. At the moment, the PC isn't built yet so that should make my life a bit easier.

Only 2 of the fans have LEDs btw. I don't think any of my other components have lights.