• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RGB fan recommendations for MCR320-QP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karkas

Hi Everyone!

I've been away from here for years, but excited to be back and building a custom loop with some old equipment I have. My problem is that I am building a VR rig for my kids. Since they are in love with RGB stuff, I wanted to bling this thing out, but I don’t know what RGB fans (if any) are any good to cool my Swiftech MCR320-QP.

Components:
CPU = AMD RYZEN 7 2700X
GPU = MSI Radeon Vega 56
Mobo = ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard (AURA sync)
Storage = WD Black NVMe M.2 2280 500GB
Memory = G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 220-G3-0850-X1, 80+ GOLD, 850W Fully Modular
Case = Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB

Rad = MCR320-QP
Pump = MCP655

I'll probably buy a new waterblock for the CPU and I'm considering the GPU as well if it has decent silicon.

I would appreciate any fan or other recommendations you experts might have.

Thanks in advance!

My favorite RGB fans with good static pressure are Corsair HD120 fans, but out of the box there is no software control. I have a Corsair Commander Pro to connect the pwm headers and the lighting headers and use CUE to control the fans and lighting in Windows. 3 fans plus the controller will run you $140.00USD roughly. If you keep the HD120's at full brightness, you will not need RGB strips. They are super bright, but also dimmable.

As a runner up, the Thermaltake Riing RGBs have decent air flow through rads, but they are not my favorite looks wise. I also Have AER fans that I retired along with the Thermaltakes for the HD120's.

im using the corsair ml120s on my 360 and they move a decent amount of air but they definitely need to be run off a controller (loud). if you buy 3 they come with the rgb controller. they look decent but not very bright. a more expensive route but much better performance wise is to go with a noctua NF-F12 or bequiet silent wing 3 and a phanteks halos lux rgb fan frame for the lighting (connects to mb). im going to run 3 Phanteks PH-FF140RGBA_BK01 Halos Lux RGB Fan Frame and 3 Noctua AF-A14 iPPC 2000 IP67 PWMs for my 420. at 1000rpm the noctua nf-f12 2000 i have is silent and still moves a ton of air.
here are the 120s and the phantek 140mm frames.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRIQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Q5BXVF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ml120
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Prem...1525950067&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+ml120&th=1

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! I hadn't considered the Halos Luc RGB frames. I think I'll give the HD120s or ML120s a shot. If I'm unhappy with the performance, I will get some GTs and toss the RGB frames on there for the pretty.

Yeah, there are several ways you can go about it. The top two companies imho that are RGB crazed and can sync with all their other components are Corsair, NZXT and Thermaltake. I'd personally recommend Corsair since they finally came out with a stable program that allows the syncing of all their RGB prepherals, including their RAM. So for example, if you are looking to get their RGB keyboard, mouse, mousepad, headset, headset holder, fans, LED strips, and RAM etc., you can get them to do some pretty gnarly stuff with their new iCue software.

Skip to 4:33 or you could watch the whole video. lol

Back