• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rgone you should like this, more to come

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davedree

Updates below in post 2

Hello all who read this, I have many years of experience using Amd processors and clocking them. My first amd was a k6 II 500, numerous socket A's, 939's My last was a PhII x2 555. Unfortunately since purchase of a 2600k back in 2011, I've been with Intel too long and i'm so bored as I can't see a route to upgrade !! I have followed the am3 fx series but never was impressed by them except the value of the fx6300, however I am really looking forward to Kaveri and its cpu-gpu compute, (Hsa), although I'm disappointed that the igpu I predict will offer around 7730-7750 ddr3 performance.

Anyway I used to run an athlon x4 620 c2, using a titan fenrir cooler on a ga-ma770 ud3 rev 2.0 using ddr2
This was clocked at 3.6ghz, and nb-cpu was around 2640 I think.
I bought my dad an x2 555 back in dec 2010 for 69quid, x4 955s's were around 130-160 at the time. Whilst setting up my dads machine, I discovered it unlocked into an x4 b55.
So we swapped cpu's and I was left to explore what it could do, in an x2 mode it would get about 4.4ghz and x4 it would hold 4.2ghz, I ran it as an x4 for over a year and a half at 1.55v using cool and quiet.

Since going to Intel I then gave my dad the x2 but ran it as an x2 as his board only had a 3+1 vrm setup.

Just recently due to boredom I decided I wanted to do a few experiments,

1. Buy an inxpensive am3+ board that unlocks a phII but can handle an fx6300 possibly mild clocked fx8 to see what it can do.

2.See what the b55 can still do,

Now i'm well aware of the problems the fx8 has had with motherboards that have insufficient vrm setups,cooling etc. I know you really need an 8+2 or an Asus digi. Most new fx chipsets don't allow core unlocking I believe. + 990fx boards are so dear and also I only want to achieve about 4.4 on the fx8.

So despite knowing a 4+1 won't really cut it, why did I end up buying a rev5 78lmt-usb3?? Because it was cheap at 38 quid, and it features apm and switchable on-off modules and good vrm cooling, oh and most importantly core unlock. Note the rev 4 doesn't have apm, rev 4 will have a blue pcb.

For a 760g/710 chipset, it seems to have a pretty good vrm design and heatsink for a matx board. I've put 1.57vcore through the b55 and the vrm heatsink isn't even slightly hot which is very suprising!!
I don't expect to hit 4.6+ on the fx8 but I'm confident it'll hit 4.4.

Here's my board

gig_zps57ed3bc7.jpg

Here's 1 of the two main reasons I bought it = Apm
DSC_0166.jpg

updates to follow

Last edited:

Ok have got enough data with the b55, time to get the board out and see what we've got.
Starting with a closeup of my Titan fenrir prior to removal. And Mascot called Mike.

DSC_0140.jpg , DSC_0141.jpg , DSC_0144.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0146.jpg

Here's the vrms I noticed the first row are of a different spec to the rear row.
Haven't had time to work out what they are rated to current wise.

DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg
DSC_0164.jpg

Updates to come

Last edited:
Have you looked under that mosfet sink to see if the mosfets are stacked? I saw one of those cheaper boards the other day with stacked mosfets. Just cannot remember if it were digital or not. Stacked and dgiital would be a help for sure.

Keep us posted. Good to see someone with skills playing the devil's advocate.
RGone...

All for this thread. Some of these boards are just beasts in the right hands. Hopefully we'll see some decent clocks, and hopefully your Cpu will be liquid cooled.

Sub'ed

Have you looked under that mosfet sink to see if the mosfets are stacked? I saw one of those cheaper boards the other day with stacked mosfets. Just cannot remember if it were digital or not. Stacked and dgiital would be a help for sure.

Keep us posted. Good to see someone with skills playing the devil's advocate.
RGone...

Haven't had the chance to check yet, but I will do soon and snap a piccy for you.

All for this thread. Some of these boards are just beasts in the right hands. Hopefully we'll see some decent clocks, and hopefully your Cpu will be liquid cooled.

Sub'ed

I'm going to play with air first, then liquid if the board seems up for a fight :) If I buy an fx8320 could always disable a module as I was aiming for an fx6300 anyway. I don't expect much more than 4.4 due to the board but we'll see how things turn out.

Hit 4.4ghz with a modified stock Opteron heatpipe cooler, and a small fan on the VRM package area, ran 1000mhz DDR3 effective on a few different makes of Ram. I think you'll manage as long as you cool the board properly. Put the CFM right on that mofo.

I don't suspect you to be able to handle say roughly 1.4v -1.45v. That is what I experienced on air any howz.

My FX-8350 on g00d water.
4.1Ghz 1.38V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V
4.2Ghz 1.38V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V
4.3Ghz 1.38V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V
4.4Ghz 1.38V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V
4.5Ghz 1.38V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V
4.6Ghz 1.40V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V
4.7Ghz 1.43V...hella big air cooler add 0.02V

When I swapped off of g00d water to a huge Xigmatek Aegir Air cooler with two 98.2CFM fans in push/pull...I almost had heart failure when core 8 started taking a dive in P95 Blend. Found out more heat meant more Vcore and 4.7Ghz is all I wanted to run with any semblance of good temps.
RGone...

Not sure if this is the mobo I saw yesterday or not...

...but for an entry level type mobo with onboard graphics.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/980DE3U3S3/?cat=Specifications
980DE3/U3S3 A powerful motherboard with 2 SATA3 and 4 USB3.0 for the money << Their words not mine. Hehehe.

Look at the mosfets on that older style chipset mobo. Looks like 3 mosfets per phase of the VRM circuit and claims digi power tune.

Supports AMD OverDrive™ with ACC feature (Advanced Clock Calibration) << With ACC would assume it will unlock hid or disabled cores.

Have no clue where available but that might be a cheap sleeper. No real way to know though. I cannot buy one.
RGone...

980DE3_U3S3 .jpg

Interesting Rgone that board could have some serious potential with maybe some heatsinks on each row.
yeah Acc was the first incarnation for the first gen phenoms to aid in overclocking but no-one really developed it, I still don't know what it is truely about, (possibly internal timings? but it helped that awful 65nm process in gaining another 200-300mhz.
Acc then was used to unlock the cores in phII,This was done either with the bios, or an external chip, which also support amd overdrive software.

Another day and this thread should have some b55 updates

Ok here's a brief update for you, I have a lot more to write but I'm short of time.

One thing I never realised all that time ago was that this chip will not unlock in a windows 7 x64 environment, I tried many different types of windows (stock,sp1 ) x64 and I had no luck it only unlocks in a windows x86 environment

The motherboard is still alive after I gained 4.3ghz using 1.6v. It sounds a lot but remember this cpu had been unlocked and clocked at 4.2 @1.55v for 1 & 1/2 years. With core unlocking you don't have any sense of core temps. I had to rely on the cpu temp in hwmonitor.

The motherboard has worked really well in coping with the high current draw.
The vrm circuitry although I haven't had a chance to lift off the heatsink, For some reason just coped very well with it all and didn't run hot at all. Picture of this to come.

Theres some downsides to the board, there are no options for voltage less than the vid of the cpu. Note i'm not sure if this applies to fx series too?
Another problem although it didn't bother me too much. is that the voltage requested in the bios will suffer a -0.2v droop if you don't use the LLC. As we need to remember this is only a £38 board the LLC offered is either on or off, With it on the v-core will be +0.40v
under full load. And furthermore the resultant voltage will swing up and down at a difference of around 0.012v.

So effectively the v-core scaling looks like this.
With LLC set to regular = off the v-core will always be -.02v less than the v-core set in bios. Vid = 1.40v = 1.38v under load.

llcvoltage_zpsbd6756bf.png

Ok here's a 1hour p95 4.2 shot, 2600cpu-nb, @1.25 It's still rock solid at 4.2ghz after all these years of abuse. To be honest I couldn't get much more than 4.32 out of it except for benching. The 4th core is very leaky.
ignore the max cpu at 1.584, it's all lies.

Also let's not forget it was originally meant to live life as a £69 x2 555
x4 4.2 1 hour.png

Last edited:
Heres stock vs clocked. I will be doing a final summary later when comparing the b55 vs the fx8.

Stock
aida igp off.png
cine 11.5 stock igp off.png

cine 11.5  4.262 igp on.png
aida 4.262 igp off.png

Looking for that 3ghz NB/HT link here. Give it some juice already! :popcorn:

Edit:

Like this here 940BE on what we'd call a cheap MB with no HT voltage adjustments.

Attachments

• 3ghz nb-ht linked 940be.jpg
    3ghz nb-ht linked 940be.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:
Lol shrimp i'll see what it can do will post a pic.
This thread has got a big report coming to it soon, but I have a lot of data to collect.

Heres a hint at one of the 3 angles I'm going for,
Farcry 3 b55 7950

3.2 cropped.png 4.3 cropped.png

Back