• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RH 8.0 Geforce2 Driver Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deranged667

Registered
I'm running Red Hat 8.0 on my machine temporarily until I get a newer distro from a friend. I am planning to do a major upgrade within the next few months but for the time being I want to get this working properly. When I originally installed RH 8.0 it came with basic drivers for my video card but recently I have been trying to mess around with some gaming stuff and I needed to get updated drivers. I went to NVidia's website and downloaded what appeared to be the drivers for Linux which I needed. I'm relatively new to Linux in general, wanted to learn/play around with things a bit so I have a solid base in multiple OS. Anyway, I read the instructions for the drivers I downloaded which are called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run" and it said to enter the command in the console "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run" which I did. The console switched over to a screen in some basic DOS looking colors and gave me the error: "Unable to find the system utility 'Id'; please make sure you have the package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed then please check that 'Id" is in your PATH." I have an extrememly vague idea of what it's talking about but no idea how to remedy this or "locate" what it's asking for. ('locate' is in quotes because I ran the command to see if i could find anything by the names of 'binutils' or 'Id' in any directory with only one result for an 'Id.h' in '/usr/include/sp/lib') I'm wondering if it's even the right driver for my system: Athlon XP 1700 @2Ghz/A7N8X-Deluxe/256MB Corsair XMS DDR 400/Geforce2 GTS Pro (64MB)/Plextor PX-116A/WD Raptor 36.7GB HDD w/ Red Hat Linux 8.0 (Kernel 2.4.14-18)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back