• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RIP Fry's :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not super unexpected. They apparently haven't been restocked for months/, years. Basing on discussions I've seen here and reddit. Most people had no idea why they have been still open.

Truly sad news, but not completely unexpected. "My" Fry's in Duluth GA closed beginning of 2020 before the pandemic shutdowns. The other "Atlanta" location was way north of the city & a giant pita for many of us to travel to. Still hate to see another B&M computer (and a bunch of other stuff) store go away.

Not super unexpected. They apparently haven't been restocked for months/, years. Basing on discussions I've seen here and reddit. Most people had no idea why they have been still open.

Exactly. This was as slow a death as you can get. How they made it this long is beyond me. Two years EASY the writing has been on the wall.

I was wondering if you were going to change your signature....

Haha, time for him to change to distance from a microcenter!

Had to do something. Just figure a strike through will suffice for now.

Microcenter is too far from me to brag about. You pointing that out has caused me deep pain. BUT, if I lived at home with the parents in Boston I would be 2.5 miles away from a Microcenter. Deep pain.

Their demise started when they went from a 1 or 2 page newspaper advertisement of relevant products (PC, components, car audio, home theater, appliances, etc.) To 4-6 pages of irrelevant junk. That was about the time they stopped with the CPU/MB combos.

Ok. I've never been to a Fry's so I just assumed they were doing well.
They've been the laughing stock of brick and mortar electronics stores for 3+ years now.

It used to be if you wanted something right now or tomorrow you'd pop into Fry's. But with Amazon entering the scene with same/next day delivery and Fry's making poor business choices they have expired.

It's a shame. I can no longer pop in for something that I need right now.

They've been the laughing stock of brick and mortar electronics stores for 3+ years now.

That actually explains a lot. Been to a Fry's exactly twice, about a year to a year and a half ago.

Was out in LA for work, had a field emergency and wanted to grab some PoE injectors. Thought I'd have better luck there than BB, and it was depressing in every sense of the word. Every shelf had maybe one or two items, staff was apathetic, and the first time I stopped in I was the only customer in the store. Everything was that "late 80s/early 90s electronic equipment that was gray but now dark beige" color

Still stopped by a week later to grab a few handfuls of ethernet cables and power cords. It was a block over from the hotel and I'd take depressing over trying to drive across LA during rush hour.

About the writing on the wall, it reminds me of Circuit City, where I walked in one of their stores and saw a poor price and selection. That was less surprising that they went under, just like Ames! In the 1990s, Ames had mostly cheapo stuff!

I really think I saw it coming for Ames and Circuit City.

That actually explains a lot. Been to a Fry's exactly twice, about a year to a year and a half ago.
Thought I'd have better luck there than BB, and it was depressing in every sense of the word. Every shelf had maybe one or two items, staff was apathetic, and the first time I stopped in I was the only customer in the store.

IIRC, the BB in West Lebanon, New Hampshire, was almost that bad in the early-2010s!

Last edited:
As a kid going to Fry's was a big deal. I loved pricing out machines using their back page newspaper ads.

Then I grew up and Newegg became a thing.

Had to do something. Just figure a strike through will suffice for now.

Microcenter is too far from me to brag about. You pointing that out has caused me deep pain. BUT, if I lived at home with the parents in Boston I would be 2.5 miles away from a Microcenter. Deep pain.

Pain? LOL, not in the least! The parents are retired. And you forgot to mention also living with my sister. And my brother. And his wife. It's a BIG place. ;)

Microcenter's more like 28 miles from me, but who's counting. Beside, with the internet... what difference does it even make? Lol. Never quite understood that. They do 'ship' things. :p

The retailer I still miss was Outpost.com. The old-school-one. The one that advertised launching gerbils out of canons. The one that because of where I live, you could order something at 9PM and get it by 10AM next day with FREE SHIPPING!!! That beats any 'in-store' experience... imho.

The retailer I still miss was Outpost.com. The old-school-one. The one that advertised launching gerbils out of canons. The one that because of where I live, you could order something at 9PM and get it by 10AM next day with FREE SHIPPING!!! That beats any 'in-store' experience... imho.
You mean the Outpost.com that Fry's bought after the dot com crash and let it waste away? LOL Outpost.com such a cool URL.

In store has many advantages over online and vice versa.

Please remember its "deep pain" not your regular run of the mill pain.

Microcenter's more like 28 miles from me, but who's counting. Beside, with the internet... what difference does it even make? Lol. Never quite understood that. They do 'ship' things. :p

It make a big difference to people who can't get to a Microcenter because their best deals are always in-store only. Personally there are some things I don't want to buy without seeing it in person. Buying a new monitor comes to mind.

The Bitwit vids were what clued me in a few months ago, but I though they could weather the Pandemic...anybody been to the Microcenter in St Davids, PA(By Villanova)? I still plan on using them for my CPU needs they have always been the cheapest. At this point I would bundle a Mobo with the CPU just to help their business.:cool:

It make a big difference to people who can't get to a Microcenter because their best deals are always in-store only. Personally there are some things I don't want to buy without seeing it in person. Buying a new monitor comes to mind.

100% disappointed in my Asus monitor. Had I seen it in person next to a monitor with a sharp picture I would have passed. Unfortunately running two monitors on my desk I get reminded of that constantly.

EDIT: Had Fry's been relevant when I bought this monitor mid 2020 I likely would have bought from them.

You mean the Outpost.com that Fry's bought after the dot com crash and let it waste away? LOL Outpost.com such a cool URL.

That's the one! Ah, the good-ole-days...

In store has many advantages over online and vice versa.

You mean like death? No thanks! lol.

Please remember its "deep pain" not your regular run of the mill pain.

Not sure exactly what that is... I'm pretty much 'pain-free' these days. :cool:

Back