• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ripping movies for plex server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

Not sure if this should go here or in the software part of the forum so my apologies if this should be posted elsewhere.

So I am in the process of ripping all of our dvds to put onto the plex server I just got running. I bought Winx dvd ripper and it seems to do a great job except for one thing. Subtitles. Have been banging my head against a wall on this. I just want to have the subtitles be available to turn on when playing the movie in Plex. The best way I have found to do this is to have a .srt file in the same folder as the video that is named the same as well. Then Plex does great. But for the life of me I can't get the subtitles off of the dvd. I can select the subtitles when I do the rip but then it hard codes them all. I have used subscene to get some but they aren't always great.

Long story short, does anyone have a good way of getting the subtitles off of a dvd?

There is an option within Plex to have it automagically grab the subtitles for whatever titles you have, just like when it gets the fan art and movie jackets, etc. You can set it for when you want the subs and when you do not. It works surprisingly well in my experience. It requires a free opensubtitles.org acct.

Last edited:
Back