• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rise of Flight...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
The First Great Air War

I get the feeling this could be a never-ending money pit. Does anyone have it? What's up with buying additional aircraft?

Most of all, has anyone flown it? And is it a good flight model?

http://riseofflight.com/en

BlitzPuppet

It's fun, I play it regularly with the guys and we have a lot of fun with the missions and co-op.

Everything is pretty realistic, and it's hard to keep track of every little detail they put in there (wind noise when you lean out the cockpit, overcooling, etc). This is purely a sim at heart, not a 'game'

OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I've downloaded the demo over-night, so I'll get a feel for the flight difficulty today. Looking forward to seeing how it feels. :)

What I am still curious about is this. If I pay $39 usd for it (from Microcenter), are there still other costs involved with it?

BlitzPuppet

I've downloaded the demo over-night, so I'll get a feel for the flight difficulty today. Looking forward to seeing how it feels. :)

What I am still curious about is this. If I pay $39 usd for it (from Microcenter), are there still other costs involved with it?

The only added costs would be if you wanted the extra planes they have released. I'm sure in the future they will release them all for free, but for the time being you have to purchase them for about $5-7 a piece. Each plane is radically different (I personally like the german planes the best).

All other "costs" would be accessories that would work with many other games like TrackIR (Which I HIGHLY recommend getting, makes dogfighting that much more immersive/fun), pedals, joystick etc....

Just remember to watch your radiator and engine temperature...overcooling and undercooling are easy to do.

OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Does the sim come with a fair number of planes so buying more of them isn't necessary?

That TrackIR looks cool! Supports FS9 & all the racing sims I drive too. I already have a couple joysticks (1 FFB, 1 not), and a set of pedals that could be mapped to the rudder. I currently use the "handle twist" for rudder control in FS9 though.

Thanks for the tips, it does sound very detailed. :)

sHape oF gReY

How hard is it on your system? Really don't want to touch another FSX (takes 4 generations of hardware to play decently). Otherwise, looks interesting, although I'm not a huge fan of micro-transaction but I suppose it's no different from FS9/FSX payware addons.

BlitzPuppet

It's pretty detailed, and pretty in general. I play it at 1600x1050 with 2 or 4x AA and all high settings. Physics are all what this game are about though, expect to have a lot of wind, have your vision obscurred by rain on your goggles, and frequent weapon jams. Here is a pretty good review of the game:
. The difficulty settings allow basically full computer help (no wind, no overheating, no over revving, unlimited fuel, ammo, on screen waypoints etc) to full engine/plane management. It's really in depth!

You really don't NEED to buy the planes to have fun, I think you get about 4-5 to begin with and the rest are diff variations of those planes. One I'd recommend getting would be the SE5a, that's a reaaaal easy plane to fly. Don't bother getting the sopwith (spins like crazy) or the Foker dr1 (triplane, reeeal twitchy).

BlitzPuppet

Oh yeah, and trackir is very cool. It's go with either the pro 4 or pro 5. I have the pro5 with the headset clip. Thing is very intuitive (does take time to get used to though) and I really don't think I could fly without it anymore, allows me to easily keep track of my targets/duck into the cockpit/look over the side of the plane when I am taking off.

OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I had another WWI flight sim ages ago & remember the sopwith being really hard to fly. Too sharp of a banked turn = corkscrew into the ground. Recovery before impact was very rare. lol

Was that Red Baron II? maybe...

sHape oF gReY

I had another WWI flight sim ages ago & remember the sopwith being really hard to fly. Too sharp of a banked turn = corkscrew into the ground. Recovery before impact was very rare. lol

Was that Red Baron II? maybe...

Yeah Red Baron.

As for TrackIR I'm really tempted to get it (play a lot of FSX/DCS BS), but I'm on the fence between a PC upgrade (go i920 or TrackIR). Might just bite the bullet and buy TrackIR and upgrade when tax returns come in April...i9's should be out by then, so maybe a price drop on i7s (hope). For now I'm using FreeTrack (DIY TrackIR), not its really not all that great, nowhere near as smooth as TrackIR, FSX support is a bit off, but its actually pretty decent in IL-2 and DCS.

This looks tempting, think I'll go grab a demo next week, after finals.:D

BlitzPuppet

Yeah Red Baron.

As for TrackIR I'm really tempted to get it (play a lot of FSX/DCS BS), but I'm on the fence between a PC upgrade (go i920 or TrackIR). Might just bite the bullet and buy TrackIR and upgrade when tax returns come in April...i9's should be out by then, so maybe a price drop on i7s (hope). For now I'm using FreeTrack (DIY TrackIR), not its really not all that great, nowhere near as smooth as TrackIR, FSX support is a bit off, but its actually pretty decent in IL-2 and DCS.

This looks tempting, think I'll go grab a demo next week, after finals.:D

I use trackir for IL2, RoF, DCS and it is flawless. Just remember that trackir can be used for multiple builds thereafter even after you decide to upgrade your vid card and cpu :).

Last edited:
OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I've had IL2 for a while, but I had a crappy SB Live! audio card that would crash it (and a few other games/sims). I finally bought an Xfi and all those games are now working. I just haven't had much time to spend with them.

I'm really interested in the TrackIR. It's something I always thought would be a great idea, but had no idea it existed.

Attachments

• do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg
    do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 148