• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rise of Nations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

method().man

Oh man, this is a KILLER game. Best RTS I've played in years. It's like command and conquer combined with civilization - but in a way, far better than both. HIGHLY recommended :D :D :D . I'm going on an 8 hour run right now ;).

deRusett

I would hardly rate rise of Nations so high, the reveiw I gave the Demo on my site was a 7 out of 10

the game is a age race, far to fast moving to enjoy the units of each age.

the winner is dependant on who can control the Oil, whom ever gets the oil in large quantities first will be the winner.

C&C are hardly quality Strategy games, though Civs is/was Rise of Nations is a good start, but follows the rushing no strategy game play of far to many so called RTS games out there

Perre

It's a pretty OK game. I love the idea that you can take over the world... reminds me of Age of empires, Empire earth & Risk...

:p

illwillchill

method().man said:
I'm playing with Koreans right now. Gotta show some love to the motherland :D

GO KOREA! GO KOREA! GO KOREA! GO OH OH OH OH!

(anyone who's watched the recent World Cup would know what I'm talking about ;))

seriously, i played the demos, are the different nations "different" enough to where its not like lets say, age of empires? Not totally different classes like Zerg and Terran, but noticable differences in playing style.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
illwillchill said:

GO KOREA! GO KOREA! GO KOREA! GO OH OH OH OH!

(anyone who's watched the recent World Cup would know what I'm talking about ;))

seriously, i played the demos, are the different nations "different" enough to where its not like lets say, age of empires? Not totally different classes like Zerg and Terran, but noticable differences in playing style.
Each nation has about 8 slightly different units (about 1 or 2 for each age), different strengths as a nation, plus one special nation power. (Russia has the russian winter, double attrition damage. Greeks have the power of philosophy, lowers research costs. Etc).
So it does alter playing style a lot.

My favorite tatic is build multiple missle silos (10+) all armed with nukes so incase Im about to lose I launch them all and the game ends with everyone in defeat because of Armageddon. hehehe

TUK101

Sounds like a game to check out. I loved Empire Earth and if you can take over the world in Rise Of Nations I might just like it too lol.

InThrees

I just played through the entire world conquest map (Bantu, easy, 18 turns), but then I went back and actually LOOKED at the nations' special abilities... I have to say the English look like the winners simply because of the +25% commerce cap. I wish I would have played with them instead of the Bantu, every game (map) I played ended up with me being commerce capped frequently.

I think the game's greatest flaw is the speed at which you can gather resources - it makes the gameplay WAAY too fast. By the time you're able to build the 'elite' units for a particular campaign, you're pretty much able to build 50 of them. Then you just walk that army all over the map.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
InThrees said:
I just played through the entire world conquest map (Bantu, easy, 18 turns), but then I went back and actually LOOKED at the nations' special abilities... I have to say the English look like the winners simply because of the +25% commerce cap. I wish I would have played with them instead of the Bantu, every game (map) I played ended up with me being commerce capped frequently.

I think the game's greatest flaw is the speed at which you can gather resources - it makes the gameplay WAAY too fast. By the time you're able to build the 'elite' units for a particular campaign, you're pretty much able to build 50 of them. Then you just walk that army all over the map.
But thats the point, if your playing another human player who doesnt completley suck they will have that large of an army too. Should be evenly matched armies (unless they made everything just one unit). I have fought many impressive battles.

Toysrme

Check "My RoN review" or something like that...

And the Bantu were great with that pop cap + the pop cap increasing wonder.

Woe be unto him who let's them get that and keep it... No amount of monitary compensation will account for that MUWAHAHA!

Really... I hope yall like it longer than I did!

SkylineGTR-R34

Disabled
Rise Of Nations, has to be the BEST RTS ever created, its amazing, right it has OK graphics, but the game play and everything else is just awesome!
I play it everyday for few hours, and for now I control half of Europe and I'm in peace with the Russians who control alot too :)