• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rise Of The Tomb raider running not so well on my 970 GTX SC 4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

AMD FX 8350 (OC TO 4.4GHZ, (with about 1.4ish volts)
970gtx 4GB Super clock edition (memory: +85, coreclock: +110, mv: +8, msi afterburner)
840 samsung pro 256GB
1000wat Antec PSU
8GB DDR 3 1600hz ram
ASUS 144Hz VG248QE 24"

SO i recently got Rise of the Tomb raider for my pc, and when i started to play the game everything was running fine, but soon as i progressed to levels like that soviet installation level where you can free roam etc, thats when i am hitting like 40s to 55ish FPS. Ofcourse when i am in caves or anything to do with indoors it runs like a dream. But when ever i am in a free roam type of area with lots of bushes and trees thats when i get some serious fps drop where you can notice it.

I don't know if its just the game or it needs to be patched? But i did read this form where this users is pretty much having the same issue as me : https://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/451852225136159084/

Now this game comes with a 970gtx so i am assuming i should be able to run this game fine? I mean i don't have everything on ULTRA, then only thing i have high is Textures and Shadows but even when i turned them down i still came to low FPS drops in those certain areas as shown by FRAPS. I go back and forth between low and high settings in the same level and i still get the same results of 40s to 50s FPS.

My friend who has a 980gtx Ti tells me he is getting no issues with this game but then again he has a 6GB type of video card. I just wanna know is anyone else facing the same issues? Cause i pretty much upgraded my PC to run the most recent games at least for the next 2 years. I would hate to upgrade again and buy a $800+ GPU card like the 980 Ti. I even recently upgraded my monitor to 144hz so everything should run smooth?

Attachments

• IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 800
A friend of mine has a 970 and I think he has similar issues

thanks for the quick response, can you let me know if your friend has fixed his issue? If he is still facing the same issue is it the levels that i mentioned? Or any free roam type of area in this game?

Check your vram use. If it's over 3.5/4gb, then you need to turn something down.
https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html

The game stuffs the memory full. That is a problem with the 970 considering its slow 512MB on the backend.

The last i checked i was using 2something GB not hitting any where close to 4gb. If i put texture settings on ULTRA then it reaches to 4gb, but haven't put it into that setting or even tried it out. If you go to youtube and type 970GTX Rise of the tomb raider, you will see many put all their settings on HIGH and still run the game at a 100% with no issues. BUT it is only the first level they tested out the game no the free roam area that i mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a driver issue then, so far the 361.91 have given me zero problems but i wont go any higher until they fix the issues with the 364 series completely :p

Or you don't have a card with 3.5gb of vram in a title that can use way more....

Anyway, you are seeing g 40-50 fps which is plenty playable... did I miss something iso?

20fps-25fps between 980 and 980Ti at Very High ? that's the 6gb vram working their magic right there :clap: if the review is right you're exactly where you're supposed to be performance wise.

"Gamers using AMD hardware, namely current-gen flagships such as the Fury and Nano series, we recommend avoiding the Very High quality preset for now as performance gets a bit messy due to brutal frame drops. These same settings don't hammer the 390X and 390 nearly as much and they are able to deliver quite nice performance at 1080p. The issue has to be VRAM-related but for whatever reason Nvidia's own GTX 970 doesn't suffer the same performance issues, though it's a good bit slower than the 390 here."

"This game gobbles memory -- both VRAM and system RAM. In our test it would allocate up to 7GB of VRAM when using the R9 390 or 390X. With the 390 or 390X installed the game would consume 4.2GB of system memory and that jumps to 7.1GB with the Nano or Fury."

Last edited:
Or you don't have a card with 3.5gb of vram in a title that can use way more....

Anyway, you are seeing g 40-50 fps which is plenty playable... did I miss something iso?

Well once it hits around 40-50 fps in these free roam section like a level i think its called GEOTHERMAL Valley or something that i just recently progressed to, it REALLY starts to stutter. Like once its hits 40 to 55 fps things slow down a bit and you notice a difference. This is with Vsync OFF.

What kind of stuttering do you have is it a stall or more like micro stuttering? What is your V ram usage while gaming?

The game is Heavily, and I mean it, CPU bound. This was played on the system in my Sig.

Hitting the RAM ceiling will also cause intermittent stutter, but the fix for that is as simple as knowing how much VRAM is being used, and adjusting your Texture Resolution settings according to what you have. Whereas the fix for the generally low Frame rates/Low GPU utilization is apparently, a new high end processor and DDR4 2600mhz+ RAM. ( no seriously, it actually matters in this game) I was involved in about a 1000+ post thread about this on Steam forums and I've taken quite a bit in on the subject of this game.

Last edited:
What kind of stuttering do you have is it a stall or more like micro stuttering? What is your V ram usage while gaming?

Its micro stuttering. Like the GEO level there would be certain areas (where there are alot of bushes / trees) the stuttering would occur but then resume normal once i keep walking around. My Vram using MSI afterburner shows me it is around 2445ish GB Vram being used. Not even going over 3GB of Vram.

Here are my settings for Tomb Raider:

TOMB.PNG

If it is micro stuttering then it could be you need G-sync here are some links about it.

That game is vary susceptible to micro stuttering Nvidia and AMD use it for demonstration of Free sync Also G-sync.

The game is Heavily, and I mean it, CPU bound. This was played on the system in my Sig.

YA, that exact level you showed on your youtube link is where the stuttering occurs in certain part. Also that Soviet Snow level. Whats your PC rig setup?

For me i just thought the 970gtx would run the game fine since i seen some promos where you buy the 970gtx you get Rise of the Tomb Raider for free. So i would guess the game should run fine? If nivida packages their GPU with this game i would guess it should also be better optimized?

- - - Updated - - -

If it is micro stuttering then it could be you need G-sync here are some links about it.

That game is vary susceptible to micro stuttering Nvidia and AMD use it for demonstration of Free sync Also G-sync.

Well i already got a 144hz monitor, although not G-sync i thought that should be enough for my GPU?

The monitor is great it's just that Rise of the Tomb raider is a game that really benefits from G-sync. G-sync will make that game buttery smooth however I don't think it is worth it for one game.

I remember when Advanced Warfare came out a lot of people - myself included - had a problem with the game not recognizing and utilizing the full amount of VRAM their card had. The fix was to go into the config file and change the r_VideoMemoryScale from "0.85" to "1".

One of the first things I would do is go into the config file to see if there is a VRAM scale and make sure it is correct. This game might not even have a VRAM scale value, but it might be worth a look.

When I played this on my 390X a couple of days ago it was actually quite the opposite. The game would run the best when I had textures and level of detail set to Ultra, if I dropped them then I would see occasional micro-stutters. Seriously.

Now talk about some backwards logic on the dev team's part...I mean a game designed to be optimized with Nvidia turns out to run better with AMD...HAHA! I'm kidding, don't take offense ;).

Back