• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RM850 died, bad PSU or not enough Amps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skarn

Registered
Ok I have been having all these TDR Crashes for the last month or so and I have been working on this new built PC to try and find out what was causing the TDR errors.

I7-4790K
Asus Maximus Vii Formula
16GB (2-8gb) G.skill trindent X 2400mrz ddr3
(2) in SLI MSI GTX970 Gaming 4g
256gb SSD
no optical drive
HAF X Full tower case
5 fans
7200rpm 1 gb hd
cooler master d92 cpu cooler

When I first built this system I just plugged everything in and it worked. I changed the Ram XMP profile and changed the PCI to Gen 2 but those were the only changes.

I was still having TDR errors when my PSU RM850 which I felt had enough watts crashed and stopped working. I was wondering if the RM850 had enough amps and was that the reason it crashed. I have the EVGA 1200 P2 ordered and that PSU has 20 more amps
than the RM850 and a ton more watts.

After the PSU died I now am hoping the TDR errors were because I didn't have a PSU that had the strength to run my build. I used some of the calculators on the internet and most said it was enough but the newegg one said I needed at least 800.
Any thoughts on these PSU and TDR's

What is a TDR error?

2 920s and a 4790k? A quality 600w psu would easily power that system... even overclocked.

20 more amps? It should have more than that....
EDIT - it has 99a, nearly 30 more.

Yeah 1200w is hefty hefty overkill. You easily blew about $100 more than you needed to...

Last edited:
Hey the TDR is a time out error that happens when a video card stops working...usually when it happens I would crash.
One of the most common stability problems in graphics occurs when a computer "hangs" or appears completely "frozen" while, in reality, it is processing an end-user command or operation. The end-user typically waits a few seconds and then decides to reboot the computer. The frozen appearance of the computer typically occurs because the GPU is busy processing intensive graphical operations, typically during game play. The GPU does not update the display screen, and the computer appears frozen.

I have been looking and the RM850 seems to have had some really bad reviews....I have an RMA for it and will be returning it for a replacement. I cant believe you have not had a TDR. your lucky

You could easily run that off a quality 750W PSU...
I'm assuming the issue was just that the PSU was faulty.

Let us know if the new PSU works properly.

MEH... stuff happens. I would return that EVGA when you get the RMA of the RM850. Its a very solid PSU. Spending $250 on a 1.2KW PSU is the issue here. You just had a lemon. ;)

You could easily run that off a quality 600W PSU...
Fixed. :)

165W cards plus a stock CPU = 400W... Give it 500W with everything overclocked. ;)

MEH... stuff happens. I would return that EVGA when you get the RMA of the RM850. Its a very solid PSU. But that isn't your problem here, nor is there a need for 1.2KW PSU and spending $250 when truthfully, an $80 PSU would be plenty.

Fixed. :)

165W cards plus a stock CPU = 400W... Give it 500W with everything overclocked. ;)

I was assuming OCing would happen at some point :)
Also can be hard to find 4x PCIe connectors on a 600W PSU.

I was assuming OCing would happen at some point
Me too, I even said it... :)

Also can be hard to find 4x PCIe connectors on a 600W PSU.
Good point here though!

650W Evga Supernova G2 has a total 4 which would work for him (2 6+2 and 2 6 pin). But that could limit him in the future for more powerful cards too without 4 6+2 pin PCIe leads.

EDIt2: IIRC the 970 has 8 pin and 6 pin? I dunno.. GTG!

Well I should get the EVGA PSU Tomorrow and will install it and check everything out. On the RM850 I did do the paperclip test to test it after it stopped working and it did nothing.
Would that PSU going bad have a chance to jack anything else up in my system? Hope not!

Thanks for the help and the ideas. If everything works well, when I get that RM850 back and everything works I'll for sure return the EVGA.

Too much effort for almost no gains... click the review I posted of that rm850...

... would you still bother only for a longer warranty?

Too much effort for almost no gains... click the review I posted of that rm850...

... would you still bother only for a longer warranty?

Personally, yes.
I've seen quite a few cases of dead RM series PSU's.
Also, worse voltage regulation and worse ripple on the RM.

Lol, ok. To each their own. That's a waste of time and effort for no tangible gains outside of the warranty length.

Now if it crapped out again? ABSOLUTELY.

Last edited:
Well I should get the EVGA PSU Tomorrow and will install it and check everything out. On the RM850 I did do the paperclip test to test it after it stopped working and it did nothing.
Would that PSU going bad have a chance to jack anything else up in my system? Hope not!

Thanks for the help and the ideas. If everything works well, when I get that RM850 back and everything works I'll for sure return the EVGA.

Could the rest of the system have been jacked up when that PSU failed? Well, yes, it is possible. However, with most mid-range and above PSUs, it's less likely than a bottom-barrel PSU. The RM850 is a higher-end PSU, so everything should be fine. Just be sure to stress test and verify that everything is good.

OK I have installed the EVGA P1200 PSu and the PC booted up and I opened windows to check the SLI of the two GTX970 cards, checked that the Ram was still working and then did a restart.........NOW PC only lights up a second all fans spin like one second and wont boot. I have tried the Clear CMOS button but still no luck., removed the ram and put it back. Now what's the next step???

I would drop down to a single stick of ram. Put in a known good CPU if you have an extra. Pull GPU and switch to IGPU. And see if it boots. (If you have an extra known good ram stick try that too.)

Ok I took out both GTX 970 and have the monitor plugged into MB. I have tried it with each of my sticks of ram and still no luck. I'm going to strip it down and reset all the cables and plug ins...its just wired that it started and I had it up and then when I did a restart now it wont start back up

Well after troubleshooting all of my components and everything it looks like my motherboard is shot. I already have an RMA in for it and the new board on the way. One thing I want to point out is the wattage calculators and what they say. I used the ASUS calculator and it said 1100 watts, and on page 1-43 of the motherboard manual it says "If you want to use two or more high-end PCIe X16 cards, use a PSU with 1000w power or above to insure the system stability."

I'm not saying whos right or wrong as yall have been a big help but I believe I might just stay with the EVGA 1200 P2 once I get the new motherboard. So at this point I believe the Power supply was the issue the whole time and it was what crapped out the MB....I just hope the CPU is ok as I don't have a way to test it.

Back