• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rogue uefi boot up device in bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mongoled

Hi,

as per thread title,

I have an unknown boot up device in the boot section of my BIOS.

Basically,

I disconnect all HDD, Optical Drives and USB devices

Boot the PC

Keyboard Error --> Plug in keyboard

Then browse to the 'boot' section.

I have tried to clear the CMOS.

Not done a BIOS flash yet as I don't want to loose my OC profiles (anyone know a way to back these up ?)

Have not seen such an issue before hope somebody has got some ideas !

Thanks

rogue-uefi.jpg

Last edited:
You sure nothing else is plugged in?
Does your keyboard have built in storage?

I flashed the BIOS only around 10 days ago, but didnt notice the anomoly.

I suspect tht flashing the BIOS in a standard way wont change anything.

Unsure other than RMA on how to resolve this.

Will report back when I have results from reflash,

hope someone else chimes in before tomorrow

Why RMA? It's just another boot device? I wouldn't even go through the hassle. As long as your actual drives show up, just try to ignore it. Ignore the OCD ;)

The OP could always clear the cmos, and set the boot order. It's pointless to RMA a perfectly working motherboard.

Why RMA? It's just another boot device? I wouldn't even go through the hassle. As long as your actual drives show up, just try to ignore it. Ignore the OCD ;)

The OP could always clear the cmos, and set the boot order. It's pointless to RMA a perfectly working motherboard.
Under normal circumstances would agree with you regards the RMA.

Its just that I am getting bluscreens every now and again only when I pug in any USB storage devices.

Thats why I found this anomoly as was troubleshooting the bluscreen issue.

Ofcourse am unsure if this has anything to do with the bluscreen issue, so ideally would like to find the means to remove the rogue device in the hope that this resolves the bluescreen issue.....

Do you own a verbatim storage device? I would say they're definitely related.

I would try to reflash and reinstall Windows and drivers and if that doesn't do it, RMA. The blue screens make it a whole new issue.

Thats the thing, I have used this storage device in the PC, if I plug in the same storage device and reboot go to BIOS, it will show up as a secondary device, but in the name it will have in brackets the capacity i.e. VerbatimSTORE N GO (7988).

Ive got a fresh install of Windows 10 ghosted (am on win7) tht I can test for the bluescreen issue, but wouldreally like to get to the bottom of the rogue device

Thanks for your input

:)

Rogue device is now gone

Had some gremlins in the BIOS,

BIOS flash was executed with latest BIOS, was informed that the system would be reset after the flash, but for some reason the BIOS had not been updated.

So I power down, remove AC socket, let sit for a minute, power up, set optimized defaults, reboot.

Then flashed the BIOS again, this time the BIOS updated correctly and the rogue device was gone.

So I powered down, reset the BIOS again and did another BIOS flash just for good measure!

Now will have to wait and see if the blue screen issue is resolved and if the rogue device reappears.

Very strange one.

Thanks to all

Back