• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosewill=Aspire=Junk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schismspeak

I have seen many people come on to the forums wondering if the rosewill psu's at newegg are any good, well if you take a look at these two links, you see that the Aspires, and Rosewills are the same. Here and here

EDIT: Here is the inside of one for anyone curious, same psu, see through caseClick

Last edited:
Thanks for the headsup. I had been wondering myself. Ill definatly tell people to keep away. Its strange tho. Its specs would suggest that for the money its one hellova PSU.

Aspire is Young Year last time I looked.

Rosewill has had UL file numbers from the likes of Deer, Wintech, ATNG, Powmax, and one other I can't recall right now on the sides of their PSU's. Adding Young Year to that list would not surprise me. Don't trust 'em.

I've been using mine for 3 months now. My PC is on 16hours/day. I guess we'll have to wait another 3 months to really see how she holds up. It runs really cool as well. Internal PS temp is about 80F, while the heat sinks run about 95F. My room temp is currently 71F, so you figure add another 6F for summertime temps.

It's no OCZ or Fortron, but calling it junk is a little extreme. If it were junk, I don't think it would support my overclock and all my accessories. I think it's an excellent bang for the buck. If it blows up within the next year, I'll come back here and eat my words.

I just bought their 450 watter, and I'm testing it.

What I don't get is why all these high dollar PSU's don't have better cooling. The cage on my Rosewill is awesome. Maybe that's how the PS supports it's power claims, by running cooler. So my PSU runs 20% hotter (in the summertime) than their 25C testing. If everything's linear, which I'm sure it's not, but let's say it puts out an honest 400 watts.........500 total minus 20% = 100w, that's still good in my book.
Looking at some of Fortron's specs, their testing uses the same 25C temperature, 10ms hold up time, and 70% efficiency

Now this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-163-017&DEPA=1 is a piece of junk.

MassiveOverkill said:
What I don't get is why all these high dollar PSU's don't have better cooling.
They do. You just dont see it because the FET sinks are larger. Since they are almost 2X as large they dont need nearly the same kind of airflow that the cheaper Aspires do.

MassiveOverkill said:
It's no OCZ or Fortron, but calling it junk is a little extreme.

Yours was one of the ATNG units IIRC - these aren't junk, but many of the other Rosewills are. Especially the Deer ones. Rather than telling folks to manually check the UL file number of a Rosewill being considered, I've just decided to flat out steer people away... it's their business practices of throwing anything under the sun in a Rosewill case I object to, not the quality of any one unit.

I've got a 250W Aspire that is a Channel Well supply. It's best not to try to lump all products of a given name together, especially when you are talking about people that don't really manufacture anything, like Rosewill. They could be buying anything from Deer to Fortron, and unless you know the maker of a particular model, you just don't know much.

larva said:
I've got a 250W Aspire that is a Channel Well supply. It's best not to try to lump all products of a given name together, especially when you are talking about people that don't really manufacture anything, like Rosewill. They could be buying anything from Deer to Fortron, and unless you know the maker of a particular model, you just don't know much.

Exactly, that's like saying Intel sucks for gaming, just because they make celerons.

Oklahoma, my junk comment wasn't aimed at you, and you're probably right, most of the cheaper Rosewills are probably crap. It was aimed at defending this particular power supply.

Many will agree that most of the power supplies that come with cheapie cases (and even some of the more expensive Antecs) are substandard, not worthy of even being called mid-grade. Even most of the Antec/Chieftec cases I see with powers supplies come with the Smart Power and not the True Power series.

It's hard to sell my customers on an $80 or higher power supply. Heck, it's hard enough trying to sell them on a $50 power supply. Trying to build a computer that's competitive costwise with a Dell takes alot of homework

My Apire psu was great. After I modded it the thing would put out 12.65v and never waivered, even under heavy load. This is all while running 2 80mm, 2 120mm, 1 92mm fan and everything in my sig. I got it about 7 months ago, it's still running in my buddies rig. He needed a psu and I wanted to try out an X-Connect so we both got what we wanted. :clap:

MassiveOverkill said:
Oklahoma, my junk comment wasn't aimed at you, and you're probably right, most of the cheaper Rosewills are probably crap. It was aimed at defending this particular power supply.

No problem... just felt like I needed to clarify my position on Rosewill for other folks who might be reading and considering them :)

The ATNG ones are decent - problem is telling them apart from the other stuff.

MassiveOverkill said:
It's hard to sell my customers on an $80 or higher power supply. Heck, it's hard enough trying to sell them on a $50 power supply. Trying to build a computer that's competitive costwise with a Dell takes alot of homework
But the point is dell isn't yielding their prices by using sub-standard equipment. Sure you can't afford to spend $50 dollars on a power supply if you are competing with dell dollar-for-dollar, but backing off to a less-than-first-rate supply in order to do it is not really competing.

When it comes to building PC's for sale, Fortron is the only game in town. It's either that or you use $12 "400W" supplies and deal with the warranty obligations. Only Fortron really allows the true value of their products to be passed onto the end-user, essentially everything else of quality passes through a middle-man company (like Antec, OCZ, Enlight, Rosewill, Vantec, Aspire, Inwin, Silverstone, Zalman, and Thermaltake). Each one of those companies is staffed by people that make real salaries.

Those salaries are paid by the difference between the inherent cost of a unit and the amount they sell for. If you build PCs for a living you best know what each is for any item you buy if you expect to compete with the likes of Dell. They have sharp people at work and buy in quantities you cannot hope to achieve. Dell can go direct to delta or the like and have them design a great quality supply for a very reasonable sum, but as an independant builder you essentially only have Fortron. Time to try out those new, inexpensive dual 12V Fortrons and see just how much they will do...

I make up for the price difference by using AMD processors. I'd say the mid-grade power supplies are about as good as the Dells. The Thermaltake 420 is the cheapest power supply I'll use in a rig I build (soon to be replaced by the Rosewill 450 watt if it proves to be better). I save the power supplies that come with my cases for replacements for older Compaq, HP's, E-machines and the like.

I assumed the rosewill(500w) was junk because it is the exact same supply as the aspire(500w concord) (same specs, case, fans, and fan speed knob), and everybody says they are no good.. I would try one, but I don't want to take any chances, I want to be able to leave my pc's on while i'm not home and not worry about it, not that a good supply couldn't start on fire, and destroy my pc, but cheaper stuff can have more risk, sometimes alot more.

Last edited:
MassiveOverkill said:
What I don't get is why all these high dollar PSU's don't have better cooling. >>>>>>>

They have all they need. The advertisers are great at making people think
more fans are always better. A well designed, quality PSU will create less heat
for given output than a cheap generic one.

Think about it, the venerable PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510w only
has one fan. While many cheap generic 550w have three or four.

Here's an oldie but goody :

Turbo-Cool 510 vs... Factsheet (*.pdf file)

And there are 550w PSU that drop lower than that at 50c. Some below 200w. :eek:

Susquehannock said:
They have all they need. The advertisers are great at making people think
more fans are always better. A well designed, quality PSU will create less heat
for given output than a cheap generic one.

Think about it, the venerable PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510w only
has one fan. While many cheap generic 550w have three or four.

Here's an oldie but goody :

Turbo-Cool 510 vs... Factsheet (*.pdf file)

And there are 550w PSU that drop lower than that at 50c. Some below 200w. :eek:
Exactally. If they are sinked properly then they wont NEED more than one fan;)

Not only that, cheap units often use low efficiency components and/or design. = more heat.
When you consider heat effects elec. component efficiency, cheap PSU are a lose-lose proposition.

Considering that the power supply exhausts heat from your computer (in many cases, it's one of maybe two fans that exhausts heat from your computer) and not just the power supply itself, I'd like to have good flow through my PS as well as control over the fans.

Back