• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Round IDE & FDD Cables...Are they worth the green?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boostin14PSI

As the title says do they really help keep the case cool enebling air to flow easier? How much of a decress in temp should be expected?

bafbrian

Unless you are a net freak, then yes.

Otherwise, just bend your flat cables in a "W" and put rubber bands on it to hold it in place.

USAPGAPRO

I dont think you will tell a diff. in temps. but if you have a window they look alot sweeter compared to the big gray ones. Im gonna get some copper ones along with 2 green Cathodes.

ptwearnhardtfan

I think they are easier to handle. They really aren't that muck money if you know where to shop. They're pretty pricey at my local comp shop, but online they can be had for a reasonable price.

OP
Boostin14PSI

Boostin14PSI

I found a set of 3 for ( bucks but with shipping it is like $17. Which could go towards more ram.

bafbrian

Is that why you need the cables, because of Temp Problems, if that is the case, forget what I said earlier and go with some Rounded Cables.

sangapski

if you have a window in your case rounded cables look good...
but if you know how to tuck & hide the flat cables then you can have about the same airflow as using rounded cable...
not worth the $$$ in my opinion...
i was going to buy rounded cables but bought a new HS instead...
so i just folded the flat cables and hide them where i can :D ...

OP
Boostin14PSI

Boostin14PSI

My case temps are ok. I was wondering if it would make my temps great. No big deal.

N

nerdlogic

Rounded cables can be quite hard to deal with, in my experience. They kind of like to bend certain ways sometimes....
If you want better temps you can fold your stadard IDE cables at each 90 degree angle behind your motherboard. I'll look for the links on an earlier thread about this.

Here's a link that talks about both standard and rounded cables with pics of both setups:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187787&highlight=Round+Cables

Your temps will go down if you restrict the amount of objects obstructing airflow. If your IDE cables are all over the place, then rerouting your IDE cables like the setups in the pictures will greatly help your temps. If you can't get it that way, no matter what you do, then rounded cables would be great.

Last edited:

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
The absolute BEST solution for reducing airflow restriction from ide/floppy/scsi cables is to use cables that are long enough tobe folded completely out of the way.

My main rig is an ancient Compaq full tower and I have two drive cables that go to the very top of the case- 24" flat cables were not that expensive and they are completely out of the way of my airflow.

Round cables have the advantage of being easier to minimize fouled up air with, but they can NOT match having no cable in the way at all.