• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Full...need Proxy/ICS/Gateway Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward2

I have a 4-port router which is currently full and I want to add 1 more computer to my network. This computer is a Folding-only rig, so I am not worried about having to have another computer turned on to access the Internet and all of that.

Here is what I have currently done: Computers #1-4 are connected to the router. Computer #4 has 2 NIC cards, so that NIC #1 is connected to the router and NIC #2 is connected to computer #5. I setup NIC #2 in computer #4, so that it's gateway is the IP address of NIC #1 in that same computer. Note that all NIC cards have static IP addresses. I then setup the NIC card in computer #5 so that it's gateway is the IP address of NIC #2 in computer #4. I don't know if this next step was necessary, but I setup Internet Explorer to use a Proxy with the IP address of NIC #2 in computer #4. Believe it or not, all of this actually works. Computer #5 can access the internet and the Folding program can access the Internet as well.

The problem you ask? I can only see computer #5 from computer #4 via Explorer Network Neighborhood. I want to be able to see computer #5 from computer #1. Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

OP
Edward2

Edward2

I knew I would forget something. All 5 computers are running Windows 2000. I also forgot to mention that I do have sharing enabled on the hard drive in computer #5, I have the same username and password setup on all 5 computers, and all of the computers are assigned to the same workgroup.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
can you ping box #5 from any other besides #4? try networking a drive from one of the boxes (#1-3) to #5 by using it's ip address and the default share (of course you have to have file sharing installed)

if you can network a drive, then it could be just that you can't see it, but the network can access it. personally, i never use the network neighborhood...

have you tried to view it from the network neighborhood on all of your computers?

Blueacid

Another way of solving the issue is to perhaps purchase a hub, and plug that into the router... just use a crossover cable to link the two together!

Most routers can support up to 253 computers, connected through using hubs/switches - plus a hub will give you more expandability for the future.

OP
Edward2

Edward2

I have not tried to ping computer #5 from the other boxes. I guess I didn't think about trying that. I will have try that when I get home this evening.

I did Map (or network) the hard drive on computer #5 to computer #4. I thought that maybe I could do this, and then share the drive from computer #4 to the other boxes. However, it turns out that you cannot share a Mapped (or network) drive.

As for the hub/switch, I agree that this would be the easy solution. I was just trying to avoid buying a switch for now. Eventually I want to get an 8-port switch to add to my router.

Cjwinnit

B&
Sorry to bump this but i'm trying almost the exact same thing.

I couldn't get IE to access the internet from computer #5 (I'm doing a similar thing to you) but I didn't change the proxy setting in IE, so it could need changing.

I suspect that Computer #4 somehow needs fiddling with so it will allow all traffic to flow, but to be honest I have no idea.

Su Root, tell us! :)

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Cjwinnit said:
Sorry to bump this but i'm trying almost the exact same thing.

I couldn't get IE to access the internet from computer #5 (I'm doing a similar thing to you) but I didn't change the proxy setting in IE, so it could need changing.

I suspect that Computer #4 somehow needs fiddling with so it will allow all traffic to flow, but to be honest I have no idea.

Su Root, tell us! :)

well, i am certainly not su root, but i will try to help a little :p you shouldn't have to change any of the proxy settings in ie to get it to access the internet.

so you have ics setup on machine #4 and you have a crossover cable connecting machine #4 and #5?

my question (for su root or whoever) is can a network bridge be applied? if not, what is a network bridge for?

i was thinking that if you setup a network bridge, you could bridge the connection between your nic #1 connected to the network and nic #2 connected to machine 5 to make it seem like it is just connected thru machine 4 like its plugged into the rest of the network directly...

myself, i would just go buy a switch if you have the $35 to spend... it will be a more reliable and much less of a hassle to deal with...

*edit: when messing with my setup, i found that i can't use ics to share a connection like that...*
*2nd edit: i found this on microsoft's website... bridging sounds like it is what you need to do...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...ng/productdoc/en/hnw_understanding_bridge.asp

Kingslayer

Theoretically it should work, but you are essentially "double NAT'ing" yourself.

Double nat'ing isn't a big deal in itself but is a pain in the butt to keep track of everything routing wise. But you have made it work.

Now. The problem you are running into is Computer's 1-4 are on one IP range. Computer 5 is on a different IP Range. They'll never see each other in network neighbor hood.

What are the IP addresses of all your computers. That would help solve this.

Hopefully you've done something like this

Router LAN: 10.0.0.1
Computer1: 10.0.0.2
Computer2: 10.0.0.3
Computer3: 10.0.0.4
Computer4: NIC1: 10.0.0.5
Computer4: NIC2: 10.0.1.1
Computer5: 10.0.1.2

If you have done something like this, simply changing your netmask to 255.0.0.0 will enable all the computers to see each other (as long as you have the workgroup/domain set to the same thing).

If not, try something like this to see if it works. As long as your subnet mask is 255.0.0.0 and all the computers are in the same Class A address and in the same workgroup this should work.

Cjwinnit

B&
Ah, all the IP's are in the same range:

Router: 10.0.0.1
PC 1/ 10.0.0.201
PC 2/ 10.0.0.202
PC 3/ 10.0.0.203
PC 4/ NIC 1/ 10.0.0.204
PC 4/ NIC 2/ 10.0.0.205
PC 5/ 10.0.0.206

all the NIC's have the subnet 255.255.255.0

It isn't imperitive that PC 5/ can see PC 1/ but I would like all the computer's to access the Internet (Router).

Cjwinnit

B&
I got it working.

The computer with two NIC's in it would not co-operate in ME so I got a spare 60 gigger and put XP on it. Bridged them using that and the computer used one single IP and the same subnet/DNS addresses.

Works perfectly :)

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Ouch! Seems like this is more difficult than it needs to be. There is a response in here about getting anther hub. That's you simplest answer. Instead of a hub, though, I would get a switch. You can go 3 layers deep. That is to say, you can connect one switch to another switch and that second switch to a third.

This is also how it's done in large LANs/WANs. Most switches have an uplink. Only one unit needs an uplink. Sometimes the uplink is a seperate port and sometimes one port has a switch that toggles it to be an uplink. Connect one end of your cable to the uplink and the other end into a normal port. Or get a null cable and connect both ends to normal ports.

That's it. That's all you need to be up and running.

I mean really, an 8-port switch can be bought for about $40 on line.

This stuff about 2 nic's on machine 4 is too much. Nor do you need a bridge. In fact, you are trying to set machine 4 as your bridge. What a headache.

edit: you can mix hubs and switches with no trouble.