• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 2060 rumors building?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

Its looking like the RTX 2060 naming convention is coming back in consecutive 'leaks' and rumors. The latest 'leak' by videocardz pictures an alleged Gigabyte RTX 2060 with 1920 Cuda cores, based on 30 compute units.

The card features TU106 GPU with 1920 CUDA cores and 6GB of GDDR6 memory.
https://videocardz.com/79237/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-oc-pictured-features-1920-cuda-cores

If this is true, which is all speculation afaic, then we may be looking at raytracing in the mid-range segment. The RTX 2070 has 36 compute units which allows for 6 Gigarays/sec. Divide 6 by 36, then multiply by 30 and you get 5 Gigarays. A few devs have mentioned 5 Gigarays as the low-end of useful raytracing - which may all tie back to this current rumor of an RTX 2060.

Now all of this sounds pretty good if the pricing follows the current GTX 1060 pricing.

(previous rumors/leaks)
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-mobility-max-q-rtx-2080ti-rtx-2080-rtx-2070-rtx-2060/
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-final-fantasy-xv-benchmark-result-spotted

It will be interesting to see its pricing. Price surely won't follow the 1 series though. No Turing card has so far.

If performance scales down as it has on the other gpus it t will easily be a 1080p card. The problem is it will be too pricey for gaming at 720p. That is 10/2050 territory and sub $150 GPUs.

With the big gains in performance from the BFV update, I'll be curious to see if the 2060 is a RTX or a GTX. Before that update I figured it was a no brainer that RT wasn't going to be wasted on a low/mid tier card. Now I'm not so sure.

Well yeah, now that they dumbed down optimized the reflection details..

Last edited:
LOL, there is hardly barely a difference. I think some reflections off a gun were different? That's about all I can remember from most vids.

(that code here strikethrough is just the letter s, btw)

The biggest news to me is that if the 2060 ends up using raytracing, then DXR is a much more serious implementation than originally thought. DXR in the midrange means that support from devs will gain an early momentum since it would now be open to a much broader market segment.

Raytracing @ 1440p is not necessarily out of the equation either: since the rumor mentions the TU106, then this would also imply the use of DLSS.

When is this thing scheduled to be launched? Any info on whether it is a paper or hard launch?

RTX or GTX I'd like them to get on with it either way... if GTX I wonder if that would mean they ease off the relative pricing a bit without the new feature to sell?

It ***cannot*** be gtx. It'll be 2 different consumer cards in same generation if they do that. It will destroy any attempts at globalization of RT.

Nvidia already announced the low end cards will keep the GTX moniker. The 2050 and 2030 won't near enough horsepower for RT, so no RTX. The 2060 has been the question mark because at release the $$1200 flagship could barely handle 1080p with RT turned on. The BFV update turned that all manner of upside down, but the 2050 and 2030 were supposed to remain GTX cards. At least that's what the talking heads on the interwebz said.

You cannot discriminate the consumer that way. It's one thing to develop a feature in game for one company, but quite another to develop a feature only for high end product within a single company.
There will be chaos!!

Ford made the Lincoln Continental and the Pinto at the same time GM made Cadillacs and Vegas. Poor people will buy used, same as always. Or say "Screw it!" and eat beans for a month while looking at their HOF under the RGB lights. :rofl:

And the RTX 2060 seems to be happening throughout the rumor mill. Along with a 3D Mark RT benchmark. It starts at 3:44 (to skip the ads) and this kid really needs to take his meds. The relevant rambling goes on until 8:10, but there is lots of opinion and mobile GPU speculation.

It might work well at 720p. There are many folks who use 1366x768 result displays

I'm using GTX1060 on 1440p and it works fine in everything I'm playing so I don't believe that 2060 won't be able to handle 1080p in pretty much everything. Expected performance is close to GTX1070.
Most games are not supporting raytracing and in titles where it works, even higher RTX have problems to keep higher FPS. I just doubt it matters much for most users who are planning to get something like 2060.

Doesn't look like a rumor anymore!

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Could Launch Mid-January

NVIDIA could launch its "RTX for the masses" SKU, the GeForce RTX 2060, sometime mid-January, according to Andreas Schilling. It is also confirmed that the RTX 2060 will feature 6 GB of GDDR6 memory. Schilling confirmed no other specifications of the GPU, but posted official branding for the RTX 2060 SKU. Earlier leaks pin the RTX 2060 as being carved out from the 12 nm "TU106" silicon, with 1,920 CUDA cores, 120 TMUs, 48 ROPs, and a 192-bit wide GDDR6 memory interface, which at 14 Gbps produces a memory bandwidth of 336 GB/s. NVIDIA could target the crowd that wants DXR-enabled gaming at 1080p thru 1440p resolutions.
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/250713/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-could-launch-mid-january

It's a rumour as long as it is unofficial. Who is that source? First page of google results doesn't give anything on note. So, someone I have no clue about says something. Suppose I am on the internet...

Didn’t want to make a new thread for this now it isn’t a rumour.

My question is (now that we know the specs at least) do you guys think that the rtx2060 is actually too powerful for its price? It seems to be really hitting upon the 2070’s territory or have I got that wrong?

Looking at the raw specs and not the performance you seem to get 85% of the “performance” for 70% of the price. Of course the extra 2GB of ram the 2070 has will make a big difference in some games but as far as the ray tracing goes there isn’t much in it on paper.

Or shall I just be really cynical and expect the 2070ti to be right around the corner?

Either way for me it is still an expensive card for what is meant to be mid range. $350 for something mid range is getting a bit pricey. Would have been better for me at least, to see an msrp of $250 but it’s pricing is inline with the other rtx cards.

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 X370
Ryzen 5 1600
16GB Corsair ram
Gtx1060

Sent from my iPhone

Back