• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 2070 VRM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok, i am thinking of taking the Kraken g12 from my dead GTX 1080 and sticking it on my RTX 2070 but i am curious as to how hot the RTX VRM gets on these, from what i can tell its a reference or close to PCB.
this is the card in question: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-rtx-2070-windforce-3x.b6317

The G12 has a 92mm fan that i replaced with a noctua of the same size the blows on that end of the card, the 1080 didnt need any thing extra after taking the stock heatsink off, in fact it was cooler with it off on that end.

before any one brings it up the GTX was a refurb and i think it had a questionable reball job on the GPU it self, when it died i was putting in my R5 3600x and one of the cpu AIO thumb screws might have landed on it. have had it happen before with other cards and no problem but this was a sensitive flower to begin with

I would def slap some heatsinks on the memory, it wouldn't hurt to do the mosfets as well, but you might not need em.

I checked a couple of installs online and they felt the fan did a fine job. I have no experience with these but I do know a good fan on bare VRM can keep them from burning up when going sub-ambient and pushing stupid voltages.

Alright i'll slap it on when i grab another compatible AIO.
I got the itch and mounted the Asetek 550LC i was using on the card before in a small case to get ready for the mobo on its way for the R5 2600 i had lying around.
Kinda excited the small living room computer is a thing thats happening now...

Gives me the chance to find a "thicc" boy 570LC or some other compatible 240mm

edit:

ooo well maybe not, i pulled the card from my case to do a final test on my dead GTX 1080 and it was very warm on the back end of the card.
its a 3 fan cooler so i imagine it would be better than the blower but i dont know, looking at the orientation of the VRM heat spreader to the heatsink it might not be doing much, plus there is a backplate on this card with a thermal pad between it and the PCB there.

maybe i'll find a used reference heatsink on ebay and hack the back end off and stick it on

Last edited:
Back