• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 2080 vs GTX 1070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
I just did an upgrade from an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB to an MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio I tried to do some runs for the overclocktagon and have been scratching my head with the results. Is 100000 points it. Noth these runs were on the same latest driver 442.74. Honestly I was expecting more or was I just expecting too much. The way this looks I might have been better off with a new 5700XT at half the price. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2080 Super
2080.png

1070.png

It has been a very long time since I've done benchmarking, but isn't 3DMark 03 very CPU dependent on modern hardware? Try a newer benchmark.

3dmk03 is very cpu intensive. It is a very old benchmark which runs at a very low resolution and cpu bound. As was said, run benchmarks with higher res and settings and you'll see the difference. ;)

Yes Johan told me the same when I messaged him and I will, that being said my scores have been dropping even running up my CPU to 4.5 12 core 12 thread has not helped 12 C 24 T will crash. This whole thing has got me scratching my head.

What's got me scratching my head is your desire to run 3dmark 03 to get any meaningful comparison. If you're going for high marks there you need to run Win XP with a 9900k at say 7GHz and do a bunch of tweaks. Do yourself a favor and run some benchmarks that will actually test your GPU...

Yes Johan told me the same when I messaged him and I will, that being said my scores have been dropping even running up my CPU to 4.5 12 core 12 thread has not helped 12 C 24 T will crash. This whole thing has got me scratching my head.
Then it isn't stable. But that bench like high clocks and a couple of cores, not 12c 4.5 GHz... like quad at 7 GHz....lol

I'm gonna try and explain this better before going to work then while at work on my phone. I spent a bit of time last night trying to figure this out. I am not a bencher some of you know that so this is a bit of a learning curve for me. My very first run I scored 171000 ish points and with overclocking the 2080 1770000 ish points and have put most of my disappointment on the card. Since messaging Johan I have tried to up the CPU to OC's that I have used for different benches (bench Stable) like my 4.5G for CB20 but scores have been dropping with or without OC's beyond my 4.3G 24 / 7 OC..... 154000. I can say Time spy did run about what some were getting in reviews.

I tried some things last night to even lower scores then above and tried some other benches looking more at my CPU. I didn't have long as it was a late night getting home from work. CB20 will not run …. ie crashes about 2-3 sec in @4.5G which I was able to run for the overclocktagon back in Dec pretty much the same settings I might have had a bit more VCore not sure. I didn't have much time to do much and if I get home early Ill look more into it but am starting to wonder if I have some degradation in my CPU, that's something I have never dealt with before.

I've got to run now as I am running late for work now …… thoughts? I'll check in later when I can.

3DM03 likes Intel more and is scaling better with their processors. It also runs much better at a higher CPU clock and is a single thread benchmark. 300-500MHz won't give much. 4.5GHz is ~160-180k area and can only play with some driver options or other "tweaks". If you had 5.5GHz then you would pass 200k. 5.8GHz gives ~230k, 6GHz goes to around 250k...
Simply your setup is not the best for so old benchmarks. The same would be in Aquamark, 3DM01, 3DM05, 3DM06, and some other 15 year old+ benchmarks.

I'm gonna try and explain this better before going to work then while at work on my phone. I spent a bit of time last night trying to figure this out. I am not a bencher some of you know that so this is a bit of a learning curve for me. My very first run I scored 171000 ish points and with overclocking the 2080 1770000 ish points and have put most of my disappointment on the card. Since messaging Johan I have tried to up the CPU to OC's that I have used for different benches (bench Stable) like my 4.5G for CB20 but scores have been dropping with or without OC's beyond my 4.3G 24 / 7 OC..... 154000. I can say Time spy did run about what some were getting in reviews.

I tried some things last night to even lower scores then above and tried some other benches looking more at my CPU. I didn't have long as it was a late night getting home from work. CB20 will not run …. ie crashes about 2-3 sec in @4.5G which I was able to run for the overclocktagon back in Dec pretty much the same settings I might have had a bit more VCore not sure. I didn't have much time to do much and if I get home early Ill look more into it but am starting to wonder if I have some degradation in my CPU, that's something I have never dealt with before.

I've got to run now as I am running late for work now …… thoughts? I'll check in later when I can.
Thoughts are to stop using 3dm03.. :)

I dont know what to say about the degradation thing... you dont know what the voltage was or anything. Hard to tell with little nformation. But just try. Clearly if CB doesnt run it isnt stable. Make it stable. :)

With work and covid 19 which puts even more strain on work I have my hands full, toss in the wife and her worries about me and work (Canada Post) I have very little time. I will try and get some time and figure this out later. Nothing is really making sense.

I swear, if you just ditch the ancient benchmarks and thinking those data sets matter, it will make sense.

Stay safe, please! :)

You're not listening to all of the great advice here. Your CPU isn't running at 7+GHz, your scores won't be great. The longer you have windows installed, the more bloat you have running, the lower your scores are going to be on this very old benchmark that is VERY picky. You can do a fresh windows XP install (if you can get drivers, etc) and run it to get a decent idea of where you stand and then do it all over again with your 1070, but even then, it's a CPU test at this point in time. Please download something newer, heck run some free Heaven benchmarks to compare the two. Don't spin your wheels trying to make sense of something that you're not going to figure out.

Back