• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

TLDR: Igor's are lower rated and have issues, GN's are higher rated and are fine (so far), so this might have been a simple case of Nvidia (and a few other brands) releasing several of the cards with lower rated cables, maybe meant for the 4080 and lower? Expensive mistake?

o it sound like the industry is figuring out bad connections cause resistance, resistance causes heat, heat causes melty bits...

yes?

seems like this should have been a QA thing that should have been squashed early on

I was in QA. I can say with a fair bit of confidence that either

A) The QA period was essentially, "you've got an afternoon to test this thing. Best of luck."

Or

B) The problem was flagged, but the fix costs money. So haha no.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
ok so for head room, you now need a 1.3 or 1.6kw dedicated psu, then one jus to rest of the bits. NICE MONEY GRAB

Niku-Sama

man if i could adjust my fsb and multi like it used to be...

but this? no too much work too much money.
in my mind overclocking was for when you were saving a buck....

Soulcatcher668

this is extreme overclocking, for the masses. not the same overclocking as it use to be :c
From watching the video, it looked like you could have this card pulling 750 watts all day long with just a full cover block and temps would be more than fine.

Crazy numbers.

Kenrou

man if i could adjust my fsb and multi like it used to be...

but this? no too much work too much money.
in my mind overclocking was for when you were saving a buck....

This. Especially now with the energy crisis in the EU, we should be undervolting everything and working on getting that performance/watts sweet spot, not selling kidneys to keep the power going for one more overclock run 😝

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
JAYSTWOCENTS has a video as well, they got THE prototype. who knows maybe there were two?

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Well these same guys were invited to the closed door session with evga for their announcement, so it's no surprise, really.

Sigh.....looks like a nice card.

Brando

I bought some new headphones instead. I'll consider a video card again when I can get one like a normal person without f5ing all day. No regrets.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
I bought some new headphones instead. I'll consider a video card again when I can get one like a normal person without f5ing all day. No regrets.
i just made a offer to the guy for my Evga 3070 XC, i did not get greedy or anything. depending on the condition the card looked from picture is how i made my offers. i never asked for more then $50 lower then asking. sometimes you never know they may take it.

Kenrou

"Unfortunately, at system boot, some RTX 4090/4080 GPUs may produce blank screens. NVIDIA has detected and resolved this issue, however it will necessitate a firmware upgrade. A driver update would not help in this case because the issue occurs while the operating system is still loaded. As a result, it was necessary to install new firmware. The firmware update is now available for download from NVIDIA's website."

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
so download the firmware, gamble with possibly bricking the card

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I don't recall.

That said, it doesn't seem rampant or much to worry about either? Process seems simple enough. :shrug: