• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Just some quick thoughts...
PCIe 5.0 connector is 12 or 16-pin. 12-pin is 450W, and 16-pin is 600W. Not all PSUs come with 16-pin connectors, but it should still be enough as the card's wattage is PCIe connector +PCIe slot, so ~525W in the worst case.
Recommended PSU is always specified assuming you have a more standard, not the highest efficiency unit. In short, the top 750W will be about the same as the pretty average 1000W. So if they say you need 850W, then in reality, it will work fine on something like 600W 80+ Gold/Platinum series. The recommended PSU is also counted for a whole PC with a typical setup, not something like +12 HDD and other stuff.
1000W seems reasonable if you have a high series CPU and some other things, as high AMD/Intel chips go up to ~250W(or more if you OC) + 450W GPU +100W other stuff = ~800W continuous under extended high load. 1200W is maybe required if you get a PSU without any 80+ certification ;)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The 12900K and 3090Ti config peaked at 528W at the wall for my uses (gaming). If you're pounding on both for your uses, I can see needing more than 850W, for sure.

An unnamed card is currently pulling 500W (at the wall) [email protected] ;)

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I see there are a lot of vendor names I don't recognize, I guess they're not in the US.
ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte Galax and Zotac are popular in the US. Zotac less in the last years but is still widely available. Galax is mainly available in the US. Colorful and Inno3D are almost only available in Asia. Inno3D is sometimes available in EU stores but as a budget series. Palit/Gainward is mainly available in the EU and also popular in Asia. They are 2 out of 4 or 5 brands from the same manufacturer. PNY can be more popular in the US than others.

The 12900K and 3090Ti config peaked at 528W at the wall for my uses (gaming). If you're pounding on both for your uses, I can see needing more than 850W, for sure.

An unnamed card is currently pulling 500W (at the wall) [email protected]

I bet it's new Intel graphics ;)

In general, as long as the PC is not shutting down under load, then all is fine :)

Brando

The more I read about the subject the less I'm sure about the truth. Apparently it's not about the continuous power usage but the peaks that really matter 🤷‍♂️

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
I dont see it anymore on Evga's site but it looks like they did a short time sale on GPU's. i could have picked up a B stock 3060 TI for $349 but now the prices are like WTF.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
anyone catch the video on YT talking about NV canceled 4070/4060, WTH? i may pickup a 3060Ti still but i also want a Intel card as well. i am really hoping intel has some Killer OpenGL performance to take on NV. when i had a older ATI card, the 5k or 6k line opengl was horrible. i dont know about the new one because i dont see any games on OpenGL for benchmarks. I wonder why more games are not on OpenGL engines. im just saying if i can max out quality settings for both doom games and still get 80-90 fps in opengl or 120-140 in vulkan, more should sign up.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Don't believe everything you see?

These are coming down the line eventually still. There's going to be affordable 4000 series.

Before I'd believe it, I'd wait for someone with a bit more support than a hunch.

Niku-Sama

it wouldnt surprise me if nvidia took 3xxx chips, refined them a little and knocked them each down a level for their cheaper cards.
its happened in the past.

Brando

Dude from hardware unboxed used an 850w corsair power supply with adapter and got through all the testing just fine. Looks like power draw is roughly equivalent to 3090ti give or take. On performance it looks like about 72% faster on average than a 3090 at 4k in brute power without dlss etc.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Dude from hardware unboxed used an 850w corsair power supply with adapter and got through all the testing just fine. Looks like power draw is roughly equivalent to 3090ti give or take.
Same here... 850W EVGA P6. Both the 3090 Ti and 4090 are 450W, yep. I also run the 3090 TI and 12900K on an 850W unit.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Probably need to whittle down the 3xxx-series inventory before releasing the 4080 and lower cards.
That's exactly the rumors that have been going around, yep. There have been massive price drops between that and the mining bust, so there are tons out there. You can find 3080 Ti's for under $800, currently (and for the past couple of weeks).

Niku-Sama

i've been following the ebay used market for the past few weeks (trying to score a killer deal) and the prices are starting to trend up a bit for 3070/ti/3080...
no where near as much as it was but alot of BIN sellers are bringing prices up over new MSRP again

edit:

watching this

interesting results, also cool adapter to measure the wattage on the card, i kinda want one now... wonder if it has any smoothing caps in it in case your PSU isnt the nicest

Last edited:
OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well looks like since i got this 2060 super, i can put getting a card off for a bit. found a PNY 3060Ti for 299 BIN, still tempting.

Brando

I think the cards must have gone up for sale at the exact moment I woke up because when my alarm went off at 7:30 I checked newegg and almost every brand was in stock. I took a minute to check out an asus tuf 4090 review to see how the cooler is and a couple minutes later they were all gone. It was definitely different this time though since you could actually get on newegg. I'm not worried about it since they'll probably be back. Going to work now (y)

Last edited:

Niku-Sama

i totally forgot they came out today. it may have played in my favor, i managed to get an evga 3070ti off of ebay for about $390.
not sure if it was used for mining but the listing said he was selling to fund an A770 purchase so i'm leaning twards probably not