• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
4090 sure looks like a beast, although a very expensive one. I'm curious to see how the 4080[s, lol] review/benchmark in a month. Wonder if they will be severely hampered compare to the 4090, unlike with the 3080/3090 at their launch.

I'm also quite sad to not be able to get an EVGA version of one of these cards. I really like my hybrid card, and honestly haven't looked to see if any other brands offer something similar if I wanted to go that route.

Niku-Sama

the only thing i saw today about the 4080's was there was a large performance difference between the two. like maybe the lower one isnt much of an option and you might as well stick with high 3xxx cards since they are less doll hairs.
i'll try and find it and post it up here

edit:
that didnt take long

of course they are preliminary benches so salt may be needed

Last edited:

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
the only thing i saw today about the 4080's was there was a large performance difference between the two. like maybe the lower one isnt much of an option and you might as well stick with high 3xxx cards since they are less doll hairs.
i'll try and find it and post it up here

I saw the same info some time ago as "leaked" but from different sources. In short, the 12GB 4080 is significantly slower than the 16GB version and the expected price is not so significant. RTX4070 can be close to the 12GB 4080, but we will see as one source suggested it can be redesigned.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I guess it was wishful thinking. I work swing and get home at midnight. I stayed up until 6:30am with the pipe dream hopes of being able to actually purchase the 4090. (Nvidia sent me a email saying 6am PST 10/12 for purchase) I had C.C. in hand and $$$ saved logged into my Nvidia account and Newegg and constantly refreshed the page until 6:30am...but to no avail. It was always "out of stock." Microcenter did have cards available...yet for local pickup...in other states.

I am still kinda pissed, but it was foolish of me to think I could actually compete with a global gaming/scalping presence of buyers all at the same time.

At work tonight I checked ebay.com and there is a flood of various 4090 cards for sale. The prices ranged from $2.4k - $4k. Some with dubious evals or no evals. One guy had 100%. And...this is ridiculous, several of the sellers had cut and paste pics of the cards. LOL! And a couple said in the listing, "In hand" and then in the description of the sale, the buyer said my card will be delivered in the 1st week of Nov. I will ship it out as soon as I get it!

Well this 1st round went to the scalpers instead of the miners. Tempted to grab a 3090 Ti but 4090 is several levels beyond that. I have always had a taste for premium PC parts.

Maybe I should start a thread topic, "Best place to buy RTX 4090 with updates?"

I am thinking about going to BestBuy and signing up for their membership. The "Pay Wall." It was controversial, yet effective in putting cards in gamers hands and shutting out the scalpers and miners.

What are your opinions on what I just said?
What is your best idea on purchasing a 4090?

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Local Polish stores list various versions of the 4090 for ~$2k inc 23% VAT, but nothing is available. Some stores expect first deliveries about 25 Oct. Prices for these models are ~$2.5k and can be ordered. I guess you can expect wider availability around 25-30 Oct as recently we have had deliveries at about the same time as in the US.

Considering prices and some other factors, RTX3090Ti is not the best idea right now. Not so big difference in the wattage, but 4090 is simply much faster. You were waiting for a long time, so you can wait for 1-2 weeks more (I hope ;) ).

TerranBrackiatt

I was under the impression that warranties were only valid if the products were bought from approved marketers, ie stores. Which means scalpers basically voided the warranty. It might not be true, but I won't give them the chance to deny me service over that possibility.

Also, imo, it's price gouging and illegal, but that doesn't seem to concern anybody who could do something about it.

I just avoid all scalpers. If it's more than MSRP on ebay, the seller gets blocked.

As for creating the thread, I'd specify that only members could see it, to prevent scalpers from taking advantage of the info. OC is pretty good at not allowing known "cheaters" like that on forums, so I'd be totally down with that restriction. However, I don't know if that option is available. I know there are subforums accessible only by premium members, but that could be too constricting

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I was under the impression that warranties were only valid if the products were bought from approved marketers, ie stores. Which means scalpers basically voided the warranty. It might not be true, but I won't give them the chance to deny me service over that possibility.

In some countries, you need an invoice, and RMA is at the store where you bought it (often your purchase is in the database, so you don't need any invoices). In some countries, you register it on the manufacturer's website (at least brands like ASUS, EVGA, MSI, and some more, but not all), but then you still need an invoice for the registration process. Some brands accept invoices with other people's data, and some do not. If someone bought the product directly from the manufacturer, then it was probably already registered for the buyer's data = a warranty won't work for someone else. Either way, if you buy on eBay and you don't get an invoice, then you don't have a warranty. Someone has to be really desperate to buy something so expensive without a warranty.

mackerel

4090 AIBs were available after launch in UK for some time, but looking again now they're all gone.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Well, after saying that. I pre-ordered a Zotac from B & H Photo. I called my work buddy who has more experience than I do with PC's and such and he said they were good before I placed the pre-order. I got charged state sales tax with free shipping...wooohhooo! ;>P

Delivery Estimate Pending
ZOTAC GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity OC Graphics Card ZOD40900J
New Item - Coming Soon QTY: 1 Price: $1,649.99
$1,649.99
Your order will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis.
Orders billed to PayPal, other digital wallets (e.g., Apple Pay or Google Pay) or non-USA addresses will be charged immediately upon checkout.

Subtotal
Shipping
Tax
Total
$1,649.99
$0.00
$140.25
$1,790.24

All orders are subject to approval by our Verification Department. We will notify you by phone or email should your order be delayed for any reason.

I have saved the $$$ and have waited (from 2080 ) and did not get shanked by a scalper. I am feeling good right now!

Link for B&H Pre-order... Zotac 4090 Pre-Order 10/13/22

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Not a bad price too (y)

I don't think I get any review samples, and I simply won't spend so much on a graphics card. I guess I would have as much fun with RTX4090 as with Intel Arc A770 as I'm not playing any demanding games, and I would use it mainly for tests.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
This depends on the vendor and what they require. Knowing what brands require when going into a scalper purchase feels prudent for sure.

Niku-Sama

its because they are feeling the pinch of not working for so long and have no earthly idea what the definition of value is.

my other hobby involves retro game collecting and talk about nuts. I get away with it at conventions because i've been doing it for 20+ years and stockpiled and bought things super cheap.
right before i moved last year i sold 6 or 7 boxed complete NES games and one SNES game. mind you in total i might have spent $50 on all of them. i got about $800 for them, and they were just extras

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
its because they are feeling the pinch of not working for so long and have no earthly idea what the definition of value is.

my other hobby involves retro game collecting and talk about nuts. I get away with it at conventions because i've been doing it for 20+ years and stockpiled and bought things super cheap.
right before i moved last year i sold 6 or 7 boxed complete NES games and one SNES game. mind you in total i might have spent $50 on all of them. i got about $800 for them, and they were just extras

A while ago I restored Gameboy Color and replaced LCD. I thought I will get some games for it and most of them cost $30-150, and I'm not even starting with a perfect condition or originally packed. These games have 20 years. I bought 3 titles that I wanted for $25 each, and others from a bundle sale, so it was more like $5 per game. I'm only missing one Zelda game but I refuse to pay $100 for it.
Now check the value of PS or Xbox games, even after 10-15 years. Most are worth less than shipping and the exception are some collector's editions that were never used.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Gameboy games are compatible with Gameboy Color, so it wouldn't be a problem. I have pretty much everything I wanted, except for that one Zelda game. I'm not even playing it anymore. I guess I wanted more to make the LCD mod than use it for regular gaming. Btw. I have no idea how people used Gameboy with a standard LCD without a backlight. I know there were some external lamps, but without additional light, it's hard to see anything on the screen.
If you have it in good condition, then set it on eBay or something, and I bet you get like $300 for the set, if not more. ~1990 GB Color in average condition costs ~$100 on local auctions.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I think the market dropped on these as 'completed' auctions on ebay seem to go around $100 with a bunch of games.

Niku-Sama

Gameboy games are compatible with Gameboy Color, so it wouldn't be a problem. I have pretty much everything I wanted, except for that one Zelda game. I'm not even playing it anymore. I guess I wanted more to make the LCD mod than use it for regular gaming. Btw. I have no idea how people used Gameboy with a standard LCD without a backlight. I know there were some external lamps, but without additional light, it's hard to see anything on the screen.
If you have it in good condition, then set it on eBay or something, and I bet you get like $300 for the set, if not more. ~1990 GB Color in average condition costs ~$100 on local auctions.

game boys have no region lock on them so it might be cheaper to find another countries release of a game you want, as long as its in the language you want too.
it can be much cheaper that way