• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

yea i saw this while at the convention, not sure why they just didnt call it a 4070 to begin with instead of having two standard 4080 SKUs

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i was watching a 3070, dude sent me a offer for $345, so tempted. looking at 3060Ti's for BIN prices is around $300. the 3070 is a zotac holo card, looks neat plus should run fairly quite with some limits put on it.

Niku-Sama

maybe counter offer them?
the card i wound up with i had submitted an offer of $385+ shipping, dude countered with $500
in the end the bid ended at $387+ shipping, thought that was pretty funny but hey it doesnt hurt to try and get a few bucks off

$345 is decent if its a clean card that wasnt tortured, maybe hitem with $325 or what ever the cost of shipping may be?

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
WOW I paid 1K for my 3060ti a while ago........me being me and being impatient.:cry:
if you looked on ebay the cheaper ones are bout $300ish with some of the higher brands costing more. cheaper 3070's like that zotac if you will was to me a steal. i was watching a video of a guy repairing 3000's, kinda got me looking at ones not working. found a 3070 Ti listed for parts at $199, for me that TDP is way to high. i want to stick around 3060Ti or 3070 TDP, i think the extra 20watts on the 3070 is worth it. With the price difference being so small on ebay about 50ish it really is a no brainer. for the games im looking to play, the 1% being that much higher then the 3060Ti is worth the extra $50.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Gigabyte had power adapters for PCIe in some models. There was an issue in connection or something, and it was burning in a similar way as in the link.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Yeesh. I thought that the cable burning thing was a bit dramatic, but shoving that amount of amperage through 6 pins is a strong requirement. May as well switch to 48V supplies for GPUs if that's the case.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Yeesh. I thought that the cable burning thing was a bit dramatic, but shoving that amount of amperage through 6 pins is a strong requirement. May as well switch to 48V supplies for GPUs if that's the case.
they will start with a 24v line first, more then likely. they may not make a 48v line till the 20000 line up.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well based on the rough numbers i could find if the connection for the crimped pin is only 136watt. that is assuming they are crimped, that connector needs more pins. they should get away from a 12v rail to be used on GPUs anyway with the kind of power they are using. i is the same evolution that happened with PC's. back in the day the 12v line barely has any support on it, because 90% of the power was being used from the 5v rail. some time around Pentium or PII did PSU's start to get a fatter 12v rail and 5v got cut down alot. the few current psu's i have looked at all have the same wattage 5V rail. It really is hardly ever used for devices, not to the extant 12v rail is today.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
well based on the rough numbers i could find if the connection for the crimped pin is only 136watt. that is assuming they are crimped, that connector needs more pins. they should get away from a 12v rail to be used on GPUs anyway with the kind of power they are using. i is the same evolution that happened with PC's. back in the day the 12v line barely has any support on it, because 90% of the power was being used from the 5v rail. some time around Pentium or PII did PSU's start to get a fatter 12v rail and 5v got cut down alot. the few current psu's i have looked at all have the same wattage 5V rail. It really is hardly ever used for devices, not to the extant 12v rail is today.

ATX12V 1.0 in 2000 was when the 12V gained more output, the Pentium 4 / AthlonXP era.

Niku-Sama

cant say i'm surprised...

although with the way things are going we might need an update to the current psu standards. i know intel was pushing 12VO and relying on the board vendors to regulate 5 an 3 volt rails from the board. sound like a bad idea to me

or they need to calm their tits with all this power usage and start refining for efficiency again. this sort of thing seems to happen in waves

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
IIRC, 5V covers usb and sata power. Optical, pcie expansion cards, etc.
yea i hear ya, i was just meaning compared to older PC's. like i said in the post, there is still going to have a decent about of 5V support in a psu. Do you remember seeing this?
used a [email protected] power supply? :D
farther down it shows the AMP split on it, that is all im getting too. no PC today could get away with a 18amp 12v rail.