• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rtx 40x0 talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Guys, this is absurd. Scrounged these pics off the bird-verse. Original Geforce vs. the Gigabyte 4090, and the generational scaling of modern cards.

Kind of longing for 2-slot dual fan cards that need no more than one or two 8-pins. My 2080Ti FE in OEM form was a handsome card. My 3080Ti FTW3 is kind of a big heavy beast even with a waterblock, but also pretty sexy.

I feel like the 4090s should have been throttled down to dual slot form in FE trim for power efficiency and let the AIB's go nuts since there's so much performance to be had. People will have to start shopping cases for their GPU size and not desired radiator or CPU HSF sizes.

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • image.png
    image.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well consider how fast heatsinks have gotten larger over time. i recall when the thermalright SK6+ was the bomb, that had no heatpipes. now we have ones with vapor chambers with the fin section looking more like be belongs with watercooling.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
well consider how fast heatsinks have gotten larger over time. i recall when the thermalright SK6+ was the bomb, that had no heatpipes. now we have ones with vapor chambers with the fin section looking more like be belongs with watercooling.

Even today, it's hard to beat massive slugs of copper with fins. Too bad copper is so expensive and heavy such that the most copper we get is in base plates.

TerranBrackiatt

i don't know why, but i was able to watch it on my phone, but not my PC... it was another vlogger link, but the timestop showcased Cablemods' new 90 degree 16 pin GPU adapter

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I lke Jay, but the highly technical stuff from him... not so much. From that article you linked for the extremely lazy....

• The problem is not the 12VHPWR connection as such, nor the repeated plugging or unplugging.
  • Standard compliant power supply cables from brand manufacturers are NOT affected by this so far.
  • The current trigger is NVIDIA’s own adapter to 4x 8-pin in the accessories, whose inferior quality can lead to failures and has already caused damage in single cases.
  • Splitting each of the four 14AWG leads onto each of the 6 pins in the 12VHPWR connector of the adapter by soldering them onto bridges that are much too thin is dangerous because the ends of the leads can break off at the solder joint (e.g., when kinked or bent several times).
  • Bending or kinking the wires directly at the connector of the adapter puts too much pressure on the solder joints and bridges, so that they can break off.
  • The inner bridge between the pins is too thin (resulting cross section) to compensate the current flow on two or three instead of four connected 12V lines.
  • NVIDIA has already been informed in advance and the data and pictures were also provided by be quiet! directly to the R&D department.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Update from Igor on his article...

nVIDIA just notified all AIC this morning … All damaged cards need to be sent directly to HQ for failure analysis, this is first time… Even a few years ago when 2080 Ti got issue with Micron, they didn't do this.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Jay has gotten a lot better the last few years. He could have saved some time and just maxed the power, then force the connector to bend in different ways until he might cause a melt event.

Niku-Sama

so it sound like the industry is figuring out bad connections cause resistance, resistance causes heat, heat causes melty bits...

yes?

seems like this should have been a QA thing that should have been squashed early on

Kenrou

Who would've thunk a big tech company like NVIDIA would make us pay $1600+ for premium hardware and then cheap out on the accessories :shrug:

Brando

That's a bummer. I tried to get the wire from seasonic with the special 4090 connector that connects straight to the power supply. They basically said too bad so sad you don't have one of the power supplies that we're giving these out for. The lowest model they'll give out a cable for is a 1000w unit which sucks since the 850w titanium would be fine with a decent connection. IIRC no reviewers had problems with 850w power supplies.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
That guy is basically tabloid-level clickbait garbage.

I think this is much more reliable: https://www.igorslab.de/en/adapter-...hot-12vhpwr-adapter-with-built-in-breakpoint/

I feel like a lot of stuff on the web or various forums is reposted based on a few youtubers with not always the best content, but since it's so popular then "have to be true". Later when xx sites repost the same great news then it becomes a rule which is hard to correct in peoples' minds. Look at how many mistakes are in Wikipedia and people still use it as a source of truth. Quality content is harder to find each year, just because real tech guys are retiring. If I'm right then Igor's Lab guys are not so young too, but there are a lot of good articles.