• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX for the loss...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3060's were already nerfed but got bypassed pretty shortly after release. Nothing Nvidia does will last long when there is money to be made by mining crypto.

Won't ethereum go into proof of transaction soon and become unprofitable for straight up mining anyway? I have 4 coins at the moment and just mine with my 2 580s and a vega 56, the latter is also used for gaming (the 580s were not bought for mining, they were my crossfire setup before 2019 for the old system but I feel like the advantage is non existent over a single vega56 so i just keep them running secondary).

I really want the 3080 not for mining, but for ray tracing 1440p gaming at high quality. I think a 3070 may be enough here but I'd get 60fps in some titles, whereas the 3080 will pretty much guarantee 100fps in most titles with ray tracing enabled and high quality dlss. I cannot bring myself to play at 1080p, so with the Vega I play on medium-high rast 1440p and usually get 60-100fps which is good, but now it's time to enjoy visuals and I love the idea of ray tracing.

But really I only play one game anyway, Elder Scrolls Online, and I get 100fps on high quality 1440p with that one, so I can wait for the 3080 until I get bored of this game and move on to something new.

3060's were already nerfed but got bypassed pretty shortly after release. Nothing Nvidia does will last long when there is money to be made by mining crypto.

Yep, at this point, we will see. I believe someone was quoted saying that the 3060 was supposed to be a hardware+software handshake to cripple eth mining, but turned out it was just a driver setup where a developer driver w/o the code in there leaked. Grain of salt, but others are saying that nVidia went back to the drawing board and further made sure that it wouldn't happen again via additional hardware changes. We will see. Maybe they will be more careful with their driver releases and/or things will be locked in vbios/firmware which I understand to be encrypted on nVidia cards and closed-source drivers.

And you're right @Trypt. Within about a year [we will see] the plan is that ETH2.0 will be switched on and will move to PoS [proof of stake] versus PoW [proof of work] thus basically killing the need for high-level hardware for that currency. It's my understanding you can still process transactions and earn small amounts during those transactions, but it won't be like it currently is. From there we will see if mining switches over to another coin and/or if another coin jumps up in value to make the costs of mining [electricity + heat + hardware] to be worth it.

And you're right @Trypt. Within about a year [we will see] the plan is that ETH2.0 will be switched on and will move to PoS [proof of stake] versus PoW [proof of work] thus basically killing the need for high-level hardware for that currency. It's my understanding you can still process transactions and earn small amounts during those transactions, but it won't be like it currently is. From there we will see if mining switches over to another coin and/or if another coin jumps up in value to make the costs of mining [electricity + heat + hardware] to be worth it.

I've read several different articles about the <proof of stake> vs <proof of work> thing, but I still just don't understand it. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I understand the end result is that I won't be able to mine ETH anymore for some reason, but I just don't get what will be going on with ETH at that point. I think I'm just stoopid, because I've researched several articles trying to figure it out and it still is meaningless to me. It's not going to make the ETH I already have vaporize, right? I'll be able to keep it in my wallet, and if ETH goes up in value, it will be worth what it is worth. I think?

Correct, it's my understanding (far from an expert), that having 32 (iirc) ETH counts for having proof of stake. In doing so when transactions/contracts complete a portion of those that you verified is paid in fees that goes to those that verified the transaction. The issue is getting to 32 at this point, outside of those that bought in early.

Beyond that is finding a way for pools to verify transactions, but I don't understand how that would work to have a pool add up the ETH held by their contributors to verify.

Why is everyone bending over backwards and paying triple the RRP to get these 3000 series cards when there is very little games out there that utilise them?
These cards are just not needed until maybe the end of the year/early 2022.
I do not know anyone who payed triple for a 3000 series GPU...I paid MSRP for my 3080 and a couple hundred extra for a 3070...and I have barely spent anytime gaming on the 3080 and none on the 3070....

Your mistake is thinking of them for gaming. You should check on the other uses for them.

Correct, it's my understanding (far from an expert), that having 32 (iirc) ETH counts for having proof of stake. In doing so when transactions/contracts complete a portion of those that you verified is paid in fees that goes to those that verified the transaction. The issue is getting to 32 at this point, outside of those that bought in early.

Beyond that is finding a way for pools to verify transactions, but I don't understand how that would work to have a pool add up the ETH held by their contributors to verify.

Well, I'll be selling my ETH for something else then, when the time comes, before they close it down. No way I'll ever have even close to 32. I've been mining just under 2 months and have almost half a coin right now, lol.

The silicon Market is going to recover in July.. The availability and prices are going to return to normal.

Lol. Better tell that to the automobile industry. They say it will be at least a year, if not two. New cars are down 60% on production due to lack of chips. That drives the price up on new cars and skyrockets the price on 4 year old or newer used cars.
The ripple does not just affect the computer and crypto geeks.

Lol. Better tell that to the automobile industry. They say it will be at least a year, if not two. New cars are down 60% on production due to lack of chips. That drives the price up on new cars and skyrockets the price on 4 year old or newer used cars.
The ripple does not just affect the computer and crypto geeks.
No no no... I don't know where you heard that but its definitely not went that far... That sounds like Internet whispers to me.

Its only because Nvidia didn't limit sales to one per sale and scalpers and miners snapped up nearly everything being sold.

The car manufacturers have their own contracts with electronic suppliers lol.. I wouldn't believe everything you read on the interskebs! (GAMERS AND SCALPERS BRING THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY TO A HALT!)... come on now...

The video card companies that produce, now realise how to get the cards into consumers (gamers) hands..they ran out of supply.. It actually makes sense.. Microchips are mass produced and will only take a couple of months to rectify the screw up.. Calm down.

No no no... I don't know where you heard that but its definitely not went that far...
Yes, yes, yes!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35956212/new-car-buying-problems-semiconductor-shortage/
The thin line between just-in-time auto manufacturing and an idled production plant has become crystal clear again with the spreading effects of a global semiconductor chip shortage and other logistical problems.That there's a chip shortage isn't news. We reported last month that the shortage would likely mean that a million fewer cars will be built around the world, costing the industry $61 billion in this quarter alone.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ip-shortage-lifts-vehicle-profits-2021-04-26/
The good times won't likely end soon as many industry officials see the chip shortage lasting into 2022. Many dealers report thin vehicle supplies, in some cases as low as 15 days worth.

The car manufacturers have their own contracts with electronic suppliers lol.. I wouldn't believe everything you read on the interskebs! (GAMERS AND SCALPERS BRING THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY TO A HALT!)... come on now...
Who believes that? Or even said or alluded to it? Nobody in this thread... :shrug:

It actually makes sense.. Microchips are mass produced and will only take a couple of months to rectify the screw up.. Calm down.
Where have been since Ampere was released? The 6000 series from AMD? Both are unicorns from the day they were released. Nvidia is a year in now... still barely any supply. Nobody in the industry said this is going to end soon. With respect, I'm listening to the experts. That said, I hope you're right, but all signs from sources not some rando on the web say otherwise. :)

And the icing on the cake........
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/15/22385261/nvidia-gpu-shortage-rtx-3080-warning-comments-2021
If you were hoping to pickup a new RTX 30-series GPU in the coming months, Nvidia is warning about supply shortages for the rest of 2021. “We expect demand to continue to exceed supply for much of this year,” said Colette Kress, Nvidia CFO, on an investors call earlier this week.

That means the difficulties of finding a new 30-series GPU will likely continue, possibly into 2022. Nvidia previously warned that supplies would “likely remain lean” through its fiscal Q1, and now that we’re approaching that milestone (end of April) it’s clear that supply hasn’t improved significantly to meet demand.

TSMC and Intel are also both warning that chip supply issues could last through 2022. The global chip shortage has forced some car manufacturers to scale back production, and consumers have found it near impossible to find new graphics cards, CPUs, PS5s, and Xboxes.
You do realize that TSMC makes chips for cars (70% of them according to a website) too, right?

Last edited:
Back