• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rubber gromets for tubes entering pc hard to explain

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fender123

Ok, i've built a DIY Exos box, i thought i'd be able to use the car door molding i used on the 120 mm fan hole to put where the tubes come out of the box and where they enter the computer.

The Aluminum and metal off my box will destroy the tubing for sure, the car door molding is much too unflexible for tight hole openings, i was wondering if anyone would have an idea as to what i could use to smooth out those holes ? Right now i've put some electric tape but that looks awful and denigrates all the hard work i put in the external WC setup.

Thx guys.

might look into some type of strain-relief. that might work, although it may be overkill. Maybe if you can get a simple Nylon type or something.

Nylon ? Nylon what, i'm a real newb in construction materials..

Look up "Rubber Grommets" at McMaster.

McMaster will have what you need. You might find something useable at Home Depot, etc, but I've never looked there.

a cheap and easy way (if you can cut straight ) is to buy some flexible tubing of some sort (anything flexible) and slit down the length with a razor and slip that over the hole. worked great for my one PC, i had some UV reactive tubing stuff I used, but anything should work fine

I've done what you did in the past and I used some rubber electrical grommets. You can find them in the Electrical section at Home Depot. I beleive the come in 1/2" & 3/4" ID.

Albigger Duuudeeee Thank you :)

I had bought some very flexible tubing from the place where i bought the Eheim pump, i dind't want to use it because it's like shaded sunglasses gray blackish color, anyways, just cut a straight line, pop it in and bingo , it even looks kind of nice, European design kinda LOL !

So thx man, you saved me from electrip tape ugliness. :)

thanks man no problem

like i said i've done it in past and it does look pretty decent too.

i know home depot and mcmaster have those kind of grommets, but I wasn't sure if they would go up to like the ID of a 120mm fan hole. so this was an easy solution. glad to hear it helped

For 120 mm holes car door molding looks real nice but tube holes were too small and car door molding wouldn't bend enough to fit.....

The slit tubing looks real cool. :)

This is what you do, trust me. Don't use ANY molding whatsoever. Just sand and sand and sand and make the ring perfectly smooth. That's what I did, and it works and looks great. There hasn't been ANY wear on my tubs

lebe0024 said:
This is what you do, trust me. Don't use ANY molding whatsoever. Just sand and sand and sand and make the ring perfectly smooth. That's what I did, and it works and looks great. There hasn't been ANY wear on my tubs

depends how thick your sheet metal is, i mean that limits the radius you can put on there by sanding.

personally (especially if it was water/electrical running through it) i would feel safer with a split tube, or molding or whatever on the edge

Same feeling here, the sanded might look nicer, but with the slit tubing this way i am 100% sure i won't nick my tubing..

FEDEX MOVE YOUR ASSSEESS I WANTTTT MY GOD DAMNN MAZZZEEEE3333333333333333

hehehe. :)

I've seen the Rubber Gromets at Home Depot, Lowes, K-Mart, Walmart(usually in auto section of these two) and I think Radio Shack even carries them.

I JBWelded a couple 1/2" Brass Couplers to the holes I used ..
Just cut the tubing and clamp it on both sides ..

Back