• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rude welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BBigJ

I just got back from a week long business trip and checked to see what my folders had done in my absence. To my horror, my production was about less than half what it should have been (given that my personal machine was off the entire time.) When I got to work I found out that my buddy's machine (1.1 tbird 24/7) wasn't folding. That alone would have doubled my production this week. In addition, a 450pII was also taking a break from folding, and I missed out on the xp1600 competition because I was gone when it started. Anyhow, things have been fired back up, and my production should get back on track.

One other funny thing happened. During nights and weekends I run an client on an extra linux box at work by opening an ssh shell from my terminal. I just upgraded that client to 2.19. When I went to restart that client today "top" revealed that it was still running (and had been running since last week.) Apparently, they have set up 2.19 so that closing the shell doesn't kill the process (or this was a major fluke.) I had to use the killall command to straighten things out. Anyone heard anything about this?

SBs

OP
B

BBigJ

Loud said:
Welcome back!

... uh ... what's that in your avatar? ... or ... do I really NOT want to know? :eek:

That's my new homemade waterblock. I carved it out with a 1/4" bit and a hand drill.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
BBigJ said:

That's my new homemade waterblock. I carved it out with a 1/4" bit and a hand drill.

Nice! So are you going to keep it all roughed up like that? I'm wondering if the greater surface area due to the gouges will help with heat dissipation or if they'll cause so much turbulence and flow restriction that it'll hinder it's performance.

Anyhow, good to see you back on track.

OP
B

BBigJ

I'm leaving it like that. In fact, it is already installed in my system. After I drilled the holes, I was able to tilt the bit sideways until it was almost horizontal. So, although it looks very rough all the channels are pretty uniformly 1/4" wide. I think that will give me maximum surface area/turbulence without restricting the flow rate much. I'm a little more worried about the bottom. I didn't use a flat tipped drill bit, so there are some larger hills and valleys on the bottom surface that might give me eddies.