• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: AMD Radeon RX 480 (GTX 980 level) for $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like that kind of competition looks like it will do well for a pricing point at $200 against the GTX 1050-1060.

Thats actually ridiculously impressive. They crosffired 2 of them and it gave around 5% better performance than the gtx 1080. Im assuming that was stock vs stock as well, and we have to see how they overclock too. But still, for 200$ they have a winner. Seems they are avoiding competition with nvidia's higher performance cards (at this time), so Im curious what an rx 490 will do now.
Its still ambiguous, but we'll find out soon enough :)
radeon-480-dx12-100663928-large.png

That would be too good considering all previous AMD promisses. So far I see they are delaying next premiere and will lose again. Even if AMD cards won't be bad then we will see GTX1050/60 in about the same time and most users pick nvidia just because of how AMD is preparing their products in last years ( all sub $300 cards were 2-3 generations on the same GPUs with some corrections ).
I'm not against AMD ... especially when I see how nvidia is bumping prices without any special reason but AMD slides were always far from true.
If there was good AMD card for about $200-250 with ~150W TDP max and faster than GTX960 when I would probably buy it. Considering current GTX1080 prices and the fact that all new cards should directly replace older series then I doubt I will see GTX1060 for less than ~$300 ( inc VAT ) in local stores ( read in Poland ).

They fill in a gap right now at that performance and pricepoint, nice!

But, as Woomack said, we haven't seen the 1060. If the 1070 is 980Ti performance at $380/150W, I don't see it out of the question that the 1060 is 970/980 performance for $250 and 100W (Talking US prices, lol).

Red or Green camp, I'd rather have a single card anyway.

@Bob - I wouldn't say they are avoiding anything. Vega is their high end GPU which was slated to come out later.

I have my doubts in GTX1060 performance as I think it will be released with 128b memory bus like GTX960. Considering this fact I can give GTX1060 cards about 20-30% higher performance over GTX960 ( I was testing my GTX960 @1700MHz+ so I know what to expect at higher clock ). GTX980 is exactly 2x stronger than GTX960 and GTX970 is still maybe 15% slower than GTX980 so GTX1060 won't be as fast as GTX970 if there won't be any significant changes in GPU. So far GTX1080 are performing like GTX980@1700+MHz and on that I base my thoughts about expected GTX1060 performance.
Here is where AMD can enter with new graphics. If they make it run at least as fast as GTX970 and keep ~150W then it will be good card and I will probably think to get one for my gaming PC ( as I don't need much and I play in 1080p ).

I understand why they announced this from a marketing perspective...they had to.

But from a business perspective????

Announcing a $200 card available at the end of June...that is as good or better than their $350 to $400 card????

Did they not want to sell any graphics cards this month?

Now, all of their distributors will be like WTF????...and demanding some sort of discount for their inventory...

From a business perspective, NVIDIA got it right charging "a bit more" than 980Ti pricing for the 1080 right now for the "Founder's Edition". The follow on cards from the OEMs will be less, but at least they did not put such a huge downward price pressure on their existing products...

Hence, this is a "desperation move" by AMD...

Nvidia bested the Titan x with the GTX 1080, I don't see the prices dropping to $700 for the titan x.

The valid point is the Titan X price not dropping...but then again, that has 12 GB of video ram...so...

NVIDIA did not price their new offering at almost HALF of the current release offerings. The 1080 is slightly higher than the 980 Ti in price...not HALF! :D

$200 converted to Uk is £138 but I won't be anywhere near that once TAX comes into play, I bloody wish it was though as I am in need for an upgrade from my 7850

Nvidia bested the Titan x with the GTX 1080, I don't see the prices dropping to $700 for the titan x.
It's a different class of card. Not only does it have 12gb of vram, it also has the ability to use DP which the 980ti does not.

The 980ti can be had for $540+ at newegg.

I had my eyes set on a 1070 (well, have to sell my 970 then pay the difference) but this sorta puts the brakes on that and makes me wonder...if this RX480 at $200 can come within striking distance of 1070 performance (single card vs single card)....how well will a RX490 do? How soon would that be expected to be released and how much might it cost? Less than a $380 1070 i imagine....and if it outperforms it? Sell the 970 now and sit on the sidelines? I imagine 970 prices secondhand are gonna fall like a rock.

Am very interested in RX490 news now that the RX480 has (tentatively) impressed me. Maybe i can return to my old home of ATI/AMD for GPUs. My 9500 pro was a beast back in the day (and my old 5770 wasnt too shabby).

There is a Titan with waterblock in our Classifieds for stupid cheap. If I had the money I would be all over it like a cheap suit on a fat guy in August. :)

It's a different class of card. Not only does it have 12gb of vram, it also has the ability to use DP which the 980ti does not.

The 980ti can be had for $540+ at newegg.

As we outlined earlier, GTX Titan X is not the same kind of compute powerhouse that the original GTX Titan was. Make no mistake, at single precision (FP32) compute tasks it is still a very potent card, which for consumer level workloads is generally all that will matter. But for pro-level double precision (FP64) workloads the new Titan lacks the high FP64 performance of the old one. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/15

I still think $245 for a Titan is a great deal. It's within spitting distance of a $700 1080. And it will handle any current graphics load without breaking a sweat. It will be quite some time before it isn't "enough" for gaming.

I still think $245 for a Titan is a great deal. It's within spitting distance of a $700 1080. And it will handle any current graphics load without breaking a sweat. It will be quite some time before it isn't "enough" for gaming.

Old titan's arent very impressive anymore. I'd take an r9 390 over an old titan any day of the week (minus DP performance, which few if any of us use here). Its inferior to a 970. Theres no point in owning that card other than "to have it". Not sure what the hub bub is about that card. The titan will very much "break a sweat" in modern game loads on high/ultra settings.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand why they announced this from a marketing perspective...they had to.

But from a business perspective????

Announcing a $200 card available at the end of June...that is as good or better than their $350 to $400 card????

Did they not want to sell any graphics cards this month?

Now, all of their distributors will be like WTF????...and demanding some sort of discount for their inventory...

From a business perspective, NVIDIA got it right charging "a bit more" than 980Ti pricing for the 1080 right now for the "Founder's Edition". The follow on cards from the OEMs will be less, but at least they did not put such a huge downward price pressure on their existing products...

Hence, this is a "desperation move" by AMD...

You can say the same about Nvidia... why would ANYONE buy a gtx 980 ti when you can get a gtx 1080 for roughly the same cost? Why would ANYONE buy a gtx 980 when the 1070 crushes it for cheaper? Its all relative.

Back