• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumour: AMD to revive "FX" branding with Bulldozer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Dub

AMD's Bulldozer is set to receive the "FX" branding, which has been absent since the Athlon 64 FX-70 back in 2006, according to DonanimHaber. The flagship 4-module, 8-core CPU Zambezi will be branded as Vision Black FX. 4-core and 6-core Bulldozer CPUs will be branded as Ultimate Vision FX.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/rumour-amd-to-revive-fx-branding-with-bulldozer/10575.html

I think I just:
I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

Last edited:
Which one of those two is Sandy Bridges.

They're both Andy Sandbergs (And the sandberg core is 22nm and not due out until Q4 of 2012)

I'm all for the FX line- PROVIDED it's the FX line.

If you can't WIIIIIPE the floor with sandy bridge core and clock for clock, it's not an FX. An FX was almost double the throughput of a P4 at the same speed. And yes AMD, if you can achieve this, I will return to your platform. It'd be nice if you could remove your head from your proverbial rear end as far as your video card drivers too. If you can't give me acceptable control panel layouts for my 6870 in 12 months, and that's generous, 'tis Nvidia I will be buying from now on.

Also rather than #### in my pants, I think perhaps #### sandybridge I'm on a FX mother######. ##### K's I climb X's mother ########. I'm on AM3 with my boys mother #######. The CPU fan make noise mother ######

YAAAAAA

Never thought I'd be on bulldoze. It's a big blue binary road. Posseidooon, HT meeeee. OOOOoohhh.

I will say, on PAPER, I LOVE bulldozer. Take a core, cut it in half. True non serial HT. Brilliant. But will it blend? (obviously yes I just mean the proof is in the pudding. And throughput. Mainly throughput.)

I do not like Vision Black FX nor Ultimate Vision FX. It seem kinda stupid if you ask me. I would like to see something like a Phenom III FX or Phenom FX. That is nice and simple. Hopefully, they will drop the Vision Black and Ultimate Vision before they launch Bulldozer.

Is AMD going to kill the "Athlon" and "Phenom" name like Intel did with "Pentium"?

Looks like it.

I do not like Vision Black FX nor Ultimate Vision FX. It seem kinda stupid if you ask me. I would like to see something like a Phenom III FX or Phenom FX. That is nice and simple. Hopefully, they will drop the Vision Black and Ultimate Vision before they launch Bulldozer.

What this guy said. ^^^ Plus one.

Is AMD going to kill the "Athlon" and "Phenom" name like Intel did with "Pentium"?

Looks like it.

Somehow I doubt it.

They've kept the Athlon processors around for what seems like forever, though they've had a few name alterations along the way (Athlon XP, Athlon II, etc).

They even still have the Semprons' around, and they've been around since what, socket 754?

Somehow I doubt it.

They've kept the Athlon processors around for what seems like forever, though they've had a few name alterations along the way (Athlon XP, Athlon II, etc).

They even still have the Semprons' around, and they've been around since what, socket 754?

If AMD does, that's more unexpected than when Intel did a name change in 2006!

They're both Andy Sandbergs (And the sandberg core is 22nm and not due out until Q4 of 2012)

I'm all for the FX line- PROVIDED it's the FX line.

If you can't WIIIIIPE the floor with sandy bridge core and clock for clock, it's not an FX. An FX was almost double the throughput of a P4 at the same speed. And yes AMD, if you can achieve this, I will return to your platform. It'd be nice if you could remove your head from your proverbial rear end as far as your video card drivers too. If you can't give me acceptable control panel layouts for my 6870 in 12 months, and that's generous, 'tis Nvidia I will be buying from now on.

<edited>

YAAAAAA

Never thought I'd be on bulldoze. It's a big blue binary road. Posseidooon, HT meeeee. OOOOoohhh.

I will say, on PAPER, I LOVE bulldozer. Take a core, cut it in half. True non serial HT. Brilliant. But will it blend? (obviously yes I just mean the proof is in the pudding. And throughput. Mainly throughput.)

No :shake head: AMD did not cut cores in half though I think you meant it more as a metaphor slap to HT. All of AMDs SI topography is modular. What they are doing on this Bulldozer line is moving the elements around and adding a new controller section. The main section of the core will remain in tact and once we get a real die shot, it should be evident. Integer section, Caches, tagger, FPU and not APU are all just elements. The northbridge and interfaces are also elemental. With these elements they can build modules in any configuration.
I expect to see an APU ganged into each module in the near future. Those would help with ray tracing as heavy geometry can be sent there, floating point calcs to the FPU and mainline code in the integer section. We might see 1 FPS on cinebench instead of about about 5 secs per frame I've seen it do.

Back