• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

run ccfl from 3pin fan header?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i am in the process of modding my xbox 360, and have added a 3pin fan header on the motherboard

now my questions is, is it possible to run some cathodes from this fan header? ... it can choose the voltage to br 7 or 12v, but im worrying about the current drawn form it.

Old Thrashbarg

This may be a bit late, but it should be fine. The average CFL only draws 5 watts or so, which is around 0.4A on 12V... not too different from a lot of fans.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Uhh, aren't most fans around .25 A at 12V? I know I've had fans that drew even more than .4, but still I don't think a lot of them are meant to run off of the board headers. If the header was there originally (don't know what you mean by added) then I wouldn't do it. How hard can it be to find another spot offering 12V in your xbox? Just solder some leads to one of the main power connectors coming in from the brick.

Old Thrashbarg

Uhh, aren't most fans around .25 A at 12V?

Some are, but a lot of the temperature-controlled ones are in the range of 0.5-0.6A... and they run just fine off onboard headers.

(don't know what you mean by added)

I don't see what's so hard to understand about it... most likely there was an unpopulated header or something, but at any rate, where there wasn't a fan connector before, he added one, and now there is one there.