• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rundll32.exe Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carmello22

When I right click on the "My Computer" icon and hit properties I get the following error. "rundll32.exe - Entry Point Not Found -- the procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library winsta.dll"

I've tried everything short of a new install of XP and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would really help.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
I believe the winsta.dll file is more than likely corrupt or was overwritten by an earlier version. You could try running the System File Checker (SFC)...Start | Run | Type cmd and hit OK | At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (after inserting your XP, SP1, or XP SP1 slipstreamed install disk...depending on which version of XP you're running) into the CD-ROM drive.

SFC gives you (the administrator) the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file...SFC also checks and repopulates the cache folder.

You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run SFC. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents. ;)

Last edited:
OP
carmello22

carmello22

sounds like a great fix, thanks. Unfortunately I didn't get to try it. After trying an upgrade install I still had the problem so I went to the windows update site and installed all the critical updates again and it seems to have fixed the problem. Now my boot screen is taking forever to get past (like 30 sec). Any suggestions on speeding that up.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
You could try running Bootvis, which is a boot performance trace visualization tool for use with WinXP. It gives a graphical view of what processes are doing what and when during boot and allows you to optimize your boot up time...a very handy tool which can be downloaded from MS here...

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx

After you open Bootvis, go to File | New and choose "Next boot trace" or "Next boot and drivers chase". Leave everything else as is and get ready for a reboot in 15 seconds. After reboot, re-run Bootvis and it will output the results. Once it has finished generating the report, you'll see 5 or 6 graphs. From the main menu...Click on Trace | Optimize system, then reboot.

You'll see a message box "Please wait for bootvis to load"...about 20 seconds later another message box will appear "Optimizing system for boot performance". Basically, Bootvis is rearranging the boot files for a faster startup. Any system changes made by Bootvis are irreversible, so I would suggest creating a restore point before using it for the first time. ;)

OP
carmello22

carmello22

tried it, didn't work. I can't figure it out, the bios boots fast, then the boot screen comes on and I have to watch the bar go across the screen about 30 times, and then windows boots fast. While I'm waiting for the boot screen to finish the hd isn't doing anything for about 25 cycles, and then the hd light comes on and the rest of the boot process goes smoothly. Is there a setting for the boot screen in the registry or something?

OP
carmello22

carmello22

tried reformating the drive and reinstalling xp pro, but that didn't fix my boot problem either. maybe it's in the bios? anybody have any suggestions.