• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running a 1600+ oc'ed, won a 2200+...sell or keep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asuh

Registered
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
I'm running a very nice 1600+ AROIA and it overclocks wonderfully. So I then go to the AMD giveaways and win myself a nice 2200+. I'm happy that I won it (was expecting a 2400+ and AMD let me down in that way...oh well).

I'm more interested in getting the 2400+ because it supposively oc's better than the 2200+. I don't mind shelling out a few more bucks for the 2400+...or I could sell the 2200+ now and buy the 2400+ when it lowers in price...or I could run the 2200+ and be happy with my win...or I could sell the 2200+ and just keep the money. So many decisions, so little idea. Suggestions?!
 
OP
A

asuh

Registered
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
i've gotten it up to 1700 stably. But too far above that and it would start freezing my system daily. Not more than once a day.
 

ChillPhatCat

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Location
Ballston Spa, NY
Well, the 2200 runs faster than that stock so I'd say drop in the 2200 or sell the 1600 and 2200 and spring for a 2400. I wouldn't consider 1700 MHz on a 1600 extraordinary enough to turn down a 2200+.
 

Emericana

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2002
Location
Boulder CO
just think of it this way. the longer you keep the new 2200+, the less money you will make off of it. if you are happy w/ your current speed then keep your CPU and sell the 2200+ on ebay (or forums or whatever) for $120 or as ever much as you can get it. it is free money enjoy!
 

tbirdkiri

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2001
Location
nor-cal
Emericana said:
just think of it this way. the longer you keep the new 2200+, the less money you will make off of it. if you are happy w/ your current speed then keep your CPU and sell the 2200+ on ebay (or forums or whatever) for $120 or as ever much as you can get it. it is free money enjoy!


thats exactly my sentiment....
sell it... its not like youd loose anything on the transaction... the only other thing to consider is if its a tbred B in the first place, cause if it is, youd waste your time selling it.

if it is a tbredB just keep it and overclock it, seems like it should just hit the ceiling of the current tbred B's...... just like the 2400+
 
OP
A

asuh

Registered
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
it's definitely not a tbredB chip. I've already been reading in discussions what I have and although it's oc'able, I think I'm more likely to sell it because I enjoy my 1600+. I don't think I'd even really see much of a difference with the extra few MHz. I also hear that the 2400+s are more fun to oc anyway so maybe I'll buy one or maybe I'll keep the money. Thanks for your input!
 

Valk

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2002
well, i know i certainly wouldnt sell my 1600+ if given that choice. the 2200+ would oc to a slightly higher speed than my 1600+ but from what i have seen, not enough to write home about. my 1600+ is at 1800 right now. and is clean on the road to 2 ghz. from what i have read around here, the 2200+ has a hard time getting to 2 ghz+

but then again, being able to run 1.8 stock is pretty decent. for the going rate now, you could sell that 2200+ and sit on the money. your 1600+ wont bring in any kinda dough unless you had the agoia y step.

if it were me, i would keep your 1600+, sell that 2200+, sit on the money and grab a 2400+ when you can afford it.

but in all honestly, 1.8 ghz is a pretty nice machine none the less.
 

Seal

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Location
London
keep the 2200 and overclock it, it'll get to about 2GHz and then you can use that, save your money and wait till the hammerheads come out!
 

Yodums

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2001
Location
Ottawa, Canada
Probably sell. You seem to have cooling issues. According to your sig, you're at 56 degrees :eek: The 2200+ is really hot and I mean it! The 2400 come in Rev B flavours so they run cooler and overclock better and it gives you time to upgrade your cooling.

Also make sure your KX7 is Rev 1.1 to be able to support the T-Bred's.

Yodums
 

Deliximus

Registered
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
sell the 2200+ cause it won't OC too much. And then use that money to buy better cooling. For me, wait for Barton