• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running A Web Site???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DUREX

Disabled
hey guys i was wondering what would have to do and how were i host my website myself and i use my computer for my website how does all that work to run my website off my computer do i need a server or can i use the computer i got now plz help me i really wana do this???

all u need is a static ip, and apache web server(free software). u dont really need dns regestring unless u hate the look of your site being call xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

so how do i get the whole web server up and running say i wana run 5 web sites i think i can handle it right?? i sjut need all the stuff and info how to do it all hehe

well what u could do is, first get the static ip, then im not sure you may be able to register 5 diffecerent names xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/site1/.....xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/site5/

do you have a static ip?

check out dslwebserver.com - it works with cablewebserver.com too.

Read their articles and ask any question you might have in their forum.

Static IP is nice but not necesarily a requirement - as one of their articles explains.

If you can get a static IP get it. If not there are dynamic DNS services out there.

DNS is an important part of a website/domain. Someone types in www.yourwebsite.com and the DNS resolution says "Ok, www.yourwebsite.com is this IP address" and it goes there. If you don't have a static IP it will register the IP that you have at the time it goes live, then when your IP changes people won't be able to get to your site. If you don't have a static IP address, a dynamic DNS service constantly updates your IP address and will point people to your site regardless of how often your IP changes.

If you are running XP, it has a built in web server. Only problem is, it only supports one site. If you want 5 or more sites, your going to have to go to NT or 2000 Server, or a Linux/Unix based web server.

Either that or go to a hosting agency. There are millions of them out there. Check out the add on the front page of OC.com, there is an add for PowWeb. They are a pretty good host.

i usto use a all in one programe called EasyPhp www.easyphp.org its a pretty good programe for Win2k it installs

Apache 1.3, Mysql, PhpMyadmin, Php3-4 its a good proggy to start out also if you have a dynamic ip get a free account at www.no-ip.com and download the programe to update your ip every so offen they have many many host like *.no-ip.com .net and many many others. and its FREE

if you need some help with the config just ask = )

Back