• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running Memory At Lower Volts With Stock SPD CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I had a query pop in my head about volts on memory I just updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version because next week hopefully I'm upgrading to a P-II Denab 945.

Now with the new one a few things have changed I can no longer put my memory volts to 2.1v so I selected 2.0v everything seems to stable. When I would run memtest it would not work with either memory timings set to manual 5-5-5-15 or auto.

I have ran it off manual for the last 5 months now played games and it's been perfect never crashed or overheated yet cannot explain why memtest will not work???

Here's the question since I lowered my volts again to 2.0v while keeping at stock is that a good thing overvolting can shorting life does undervolting extend life of memory. By stock the Kingston H-X should use 2.1v according to the packaging I still have.

If you have your mem running at stock, then you should not need anything over 1.9v..SPD should still default to 1.85v, and if you are running stock, then you should be able to tighten the timings. If you look at CPU-Z in the SPD tab, it should say what settings they are rated at. If you are running at around 200 fsb, then you should be able to tighten them a bit more...My Kingston ram says it will do 1200 at 2.1v 5-5-5-15, but will also do 3-3-3-9 @ 200mhz and 1.8v
If you are not overclocking, then you should match the timings to the bus speed that your ram is rated for...I'll see if I can post a pic screeny3.JPG

As you can see, at 200mhz you can do cas3 and I assume that around 333, you should be able to do cas4 with a little tweeking.
Hope this helps,
Doc

Back