• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running server 2008 R2 on a desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

I'm able to get server 2008 R2 enterprise or datacenter for free from msdnaa. Would I have any problems running that on my desktop? I'm specifically wondering about drivers and games, but if there are any other big hurdles in doing this, that would be great to know.

Also, R2 is based off of 7's codebase right?

Thanks!

I'm able to get server 2008 R2 enterprise or datacenter for free from msdnaa. Would I have any problems running that on my desktop? I'm specifically wondering about drivers and games, but if there are any other big hurdles in doing this, that would be great to know.

Also, R2 is based off of 7's codebase right?

Thanks!
Yes 08 R2 is the Win7 kernel. I don't know why you would want to run it as a main desktop OS, pretty pointless really and lacks many many many features of say Win7 Ult. I have 08 R2 running on a home server machine with 4 VM's... perhaps build a cheap (less than $500) rig to run 2k8 on and play around with, it is not designed to be a WS OS and I see no real benefit in doing so, only limitations. That said, it can be done.

I use my copy of Server 08 from school as a VM host and also as my HTPC. It works out pretty well with a few minor issues (installing ATI video drivers, for one), though I agree with Nikhsub1 though that I wouldn't use it as my main rig.

Well my options for OS are either Vista x64, 7 x86, and 2008 R2 x64.

Vista is out because I'll never be able to go back to not having the superbar(or whatever the new taskbar is called), and 7 x86 is out because I have 4 gigs of ram and regularly use all of it. This leaves server 2008 R2.

Anyway I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks for the input guys!

Ugh the superbar really?

Anywho, you should know that ANYTHING is possible and the windows 7 taskbar in Vista has been available for over a year :)

With those choices available, I would take V64.

Back