• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running windows on ram drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALENGOSVIG1

Registered
Hello i have a 1400 mhz amd system with 512 megs of DDR ram and all the other stuff but no HDD.

Would it be possible to make a ram drive and install windows 98 (how much space do you need to install 98?) or mabe an alternative smaller OS from cd then use the comp as usual? All i want to do is search the net.

I know everything would be wiped once the box was shut down and i'd have to install again but would this work?

Does anyone have any tips, input, ect?

nealric

Umm- Ive thought of doing that before just for fun. As practical mesure- it makes little to no sense. It MIGHT work (but probably not since windows checks for drive space and ram drives only take up a small portion of your ram). Also, I think windows only allows drives that are on an ide/scsi controller. First, you would have to modify ramdrive program (or write an new one) to make it 100megs or so. IF you could do that, you might still have to hack the windows installer somehow.
Just get a small hard drive off ebay- 30 bucks tops. If you can afford 512 megs of ddr you can get a hdd.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
I know everything would be wiped once the box was shut down and i'd have to install again but would this work?

Does anyone have any tips, input, ect?

The Windows 98SE installer reboots several times during installation. You could do the following:

-Install 98SE on the C drive, like normal.
-Burn the contents of the HDD onto a bootable CD
-Make the bootable CD create a RAM drive
-Make the bootable CD copy contents to RAM drive
-Continue booting

You'd have to remove the HDD to make room from the drive C letter designation.

It MIGHT work (but probably not since windows checks for drive space and ram drives only take up a small portion of your ram).

Uh... RAM drives can take up as much or as little space as you want them to.

OP
A

ALENGOSVIG1

Registered
Would i have to do anything additional to the cd rom to make it bootable? or would just copying the files onto the cd make it bootable?

CPFitz14

You definitely have to do something, the question is what. I think, if you have nero, there is an option to make a bootable cd. Just checked, don't see an option but i'm almost positive its there. BTW, just to let you know, you aren't allowed to have links besides seti, folding, or heatware in your sig unless you're a senior or an admin/mod. Don't mean to rat on you, just thought i'd let you know before you hear about it from a mod etc.

Good luck with the ram drive. And as far as I have seen, most ram drive programs only allow you to make like a 100mb ram drive.

-CPFitz-

progamer

I might work but I don't know why you would want to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything everytime you restart your computer. Why don't you just buy a cheap drive off ebay?

On the other hand, think of how fast something on ram can load. With ram, you could probably boot into windows in a second! :eek:

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
install 98 to a hard drive.......image the drive.

Create a ram drive and copy the image to that. Every time you reboot, you can have windows installed again in about 5 mins.

OP
A

ALENGOSVIG1

Registered
How do i make an image? Can you giv me a more detailed description on what to do?