• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rural Internet Source?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
does the hotspot plan get better service than a verizion cell phone?

it says i can get 3g hotspot, but i've had a verizion phone at my house before and it got like 1 bar only in a specific corner of my house.

Are there any WISP providers in your locale? I don't mean the cell providers. It's an ISP that has WiFi repeaters and such, on trees and hill tops, all sorts of places it may work best for transmission.. That serves a rural area. IIRC, there is a member here who used to work for one or was an installer/tech. Which is how I know of it. Though I cannot recall who it was.

Sir google search term: WISP in rural areas

Last edited:
You can get "unlimited" data through ATT by paying $10/GB over your cap. May or may not be worth it for you.

Also, I currently have true unlimited data for my iphone, as does my whole family. We got grandfathered in. :D

You can get "unlimited" data through ATT by paying $10/GB over your cap. May or may not be worth it for you.

Also, I currently have true unlimited data for my iphone, as does my whole family. We got grandfathered in. :D

AT&T has already stated since 2011/2012 those "unlimited" plans would be throttled heavily if consuming more than their fair share. My guess would be around 5Gb a month. Definitely not a viable option imo.

My family was grandfathered in too, but AT&T still imposes their policy heavily on unl. users. Sadly there is no such thing as unlimited data in the states.

I have the hotspot plan now, it's running great, here's my previous speed test result.
be7f099bd3.png

And here's my current.
2973515046.png

Thanks a ton...working great. :p

Well I'm glad it worked out well for you :)

As someone who was forced to use either that or Satellite for several months, it's MUCH nicer. Just have to watch the data cap :S

An easy way to download games, etc. Is if you have a laptop stop by somewhere with wifi and download what you need, throw it on a usb stick and transfer it when you get home. Saves a lot of bandwidth

Last edited:
Back