• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rust? Bacterial buildup!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waterbug

As i have read thru the forums here and other forums to and read all your comments on water additives i would like to give you my status on this so far, and would like comments of others with similar setups:

Swiftech Mcw462 UH CPU block, DD Heathercore, Clearflex60, Hydor L30 pump, Acryl 5,25 bay tank, The watercooling contains about 2 litres in total, Antec 1000amg window case.

Im using the litres measurement as i live in sweden.

I use car batteri water, 4 litres, brand (Hagmans), mixed with a bottle of D-tek supercool additive. A couple of weeks ago i spotted algee buildup in my plexiglass baytank i alsa have a plexiglass side on the pc case, so light would get in there pretty easy.

I added 12% of concentrated glykol antifreezer (Ethylene glykol), brand (Preem) and it made it worse, im now getting some white bacterial fungus groups in the tank, i did not have this before i added the glykol antifreezer.

I read somewhere that bleech would kill the bacteria, so i used what i had, Clorine 5% strong, and i put 5ml of the stuff in the 2L of water, in the tank, it reacted with the fungus and killed it. Now im worried about the corrosion stuff that i have read about when using clorine. So what would be the best brew/solution to use in a closed loop? I do not live in the US so we do not have lysol , pinosol, GM Antifreezer nor Hyperlube or Swiftech Hydrx. Only D-tek Supercool, Pupleice, WaterWetter and antifreezer non Ethylene / Ethylene stuff.

Any suggestions, from you people in Europe or other parts of the world?
And could anyone explain to me why the ethylene antifreezer made it worse???
I thought it was a toxic poison to all life?

Last edited:

Yuriman

Ive noticed the white stuff too when using antifreeze. It doesnt seem a problem though, because I clean out my system every 2 weeks and replace the tubing. I wouldnt use any bleach though, it will eat through aluminum like bread in acid. If you have any aluminum in your system at all, make sure you dont have any bleach in there.

OP
Waterbug

Waterbug

Yuriman said:
Ive noticed the white stuff too when using antifreeze. It doesnt seem a problem though, because I clean out my system every 2 weeks and replace the tubing. I wouldnt use any bleach though, it will eat through aluminum like bread in acid. If you have any aluminum in your system at all, make sure you dont have any bleach in there.

Curious, so the white stuff that forms like baterial groups in the tank is not fungus nor bacteria? And yes im a bit concerned over the clorine, it is powerfull, and i think that the DD heathercore has some aluminium in there, apart from the blue Swiftech aluminium topp on the block. Do you think 5 mililiters will do much harm in the system that is protected with antifreezer and D-tek supercool?

SillyBob

Hmm, concerning, ive bought some 'Supercool' from DTek also, I assumed it would kill alge and stop corrosion, was planning on using it with distilled water, is there going to be a need to add something extra to kill the alge when using supercool?

Anyone else using Supercool, that can post what anti alge stuff theyre using?

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Never used Supercool, so I can't answer that one...

The only additives I have experimented with on my own are:
Redline Watter Wetter
Car antifreeze (glycol)
Alcohol (NOT the kind you drink ;))
Windshield washer fluid
Plain distilled water

Alcohol was pointless.
Water Wetter does not hurt temps and in theory should help a bit and help minimize corrosion. Use a SMALL amount or temps WILL go up.
Glycol antifreeze works well to minimize corrosion and in small amounts does not increase temps- like water wetter, use too much and temp WILL go up.
Washer fluid- used mainly during some refrigeration experiments to thin out the mixture and still provide anti-freeze properties. Worked but not as effective as antifreeze and it discolored my tubing within days.

I have never had any type of bacterial growth even though I have case windows and for a few years had my main system right by windows- and my rad outside with clear tubes getting plenty of light. Antifreeze was the only additive I used at the time- three spoonfulls or so. (Accurate, eh? ;))

Mixing additives can casue funny things to happen by itself- chemical interaction can do weird stuff!

I would flush your system out a few times and then start over with nothing more than glycol-based antifreeze- you should be ok.

OP
Waterbug

Waterbug

rogerdugans said:
Never used Supercool, so I can't answer that one...

The only additives I have experimented with on my own are:
Redline Watter Wetter
Car antifreeze (glycol)
Alcohol (NOT the kind you drink ;))
Windshield washer fluid
Plain distilled water

Alcohol was pointless.
Water Wetter does not hurt temps and in theory should help a bit and help minimize corrosion. Use a SMALL amount or temps WILL go up.
Glycol antifreeze works well to minimize corrosion and in small amounts does not increase temps- like water wetter, use too much and temp WILL go up.
Washer fluid- used mainly during some refrigeration experiments to thin out the mixture and still provide anti-freeze properties. Worked but not as effective as antifreeze and it discolored my tubing within days.

I have never had any type of bacterial growth even though I have case windows and for a few years had my main system right by windows- and my rad outside with clear tubes getting plenty of light. Antifreeze was the only additive I used at the time- three spoonfulls or so. (Accurate, eh? ;))

Mixing additives can casue funny things to happen by itself- chemical interaction can do weird stuff!

I would flush your system out a few times and then start over with nothing more than glycol-based antifreeze- you should be ok.

I was talking to someone else about these things, maybe it's the supercool that reacted with the antifreezer in a bad way.
Neverless the d-tek supercool will not kill your algee nor stop them from growing, maybe you could try a stronger mix of water and supercool brew. I will flush everything out and try with just antifreezer this time and see what happends.
Thanks for all your help.

hafa

FWIW, I use approximately 15% propylene glycol 85% distilled water. I have a bay tank as well and have seen no fungal or bacterial growth. Given that the ambient here is around 28C year round and the box is quite close to a window, the results seem satisfactory.