• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RWIN setting with DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
OK, so I went to DSL Reports and did their RWIN calculator test and I got like 14000-something. The default RWIN setting in WinXP is 17520. Do I stand anything to gain by raising my RWIN since the my default is already more than what the calculator came up with?

sb

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
RWIN is the "Recieve Window" of your computer.
Communication before RWIN:
client> send me stuff
server> here it is
client> send me stuff
server> here it is

With RWIN of 3:
client> send me 3 stuff
server> here it is
server> here it is
server> here it is
client> send me 3 stuff
server> here it is
server> here it is
server> here it is

So, there's alot less waiting for the client to say "i want more", which can take time. The default RWIN setting should be fine.

The only problem with having a high RWIN is if there is communication problems between the computers. If that happens, then there is alot of resent data.

OP
S

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Yes I know what RWIN is (spent a lot of time over at DSLReports reading about it - pretty simple concept actually), my question is after going through their RWIN calculator I came up with a number that's already lower than my default RWIN setting. Would I stand to benefit anything by raising the setting?