• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1800x cpu diode, whats is cpu diode, and is this temp normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ysfm17

Registered
hii

am using gigabyte ax370-gaming k7
AMD Ryzen 1800x
noctua nh-d15 se-am4

according to AIDA64, my cpu temp between 15-20
and CPU diode between 50-60 , mostly less than 55

no Over clocking
everything stock speed

what is the CPU Diode??
is this temp normal
and how to cool it down??

thanx

Last edited:
For some reason AMD decided to change the way they report temperatures with the Ryzen generation of CPU's. They utilize an offset temp so that the entire lineup has the same Max temperature. If I'm not mistaken the CPU Diode is the temperature between the CPU Die and the heatspreader. There is also a tCTL sensor that measures the offset. In short your temps are very good and you have no reason to worry. That is to say assuming these temps are under load and not at idle.

You could always try using HWInfo64, it's free and pretty bang on.
@ Blaylock, apparently the new CHVI BIOS has that offset removed. I haven't tested to confirm yet though.

Full load temps with offset on this Noctua cooler can go up to ~80°C. Real temps will be 20°C lower. Idle temps will be about ~50°C ( real without offset ~30°C ).
Also each motherboard can report a bit different temps. I've noticed that differences between motherboards are even up to 10°C.

Btw. still no info about new BIOS for my magical Biostar board :(

For some reason AMD decided to change the way they report temperatures with the Ryzen generation of CPU's. They utilize an offset temp so that the entire lineup has the same Max temperature. If I'm not mistaken the CPU Diode is the temperature between the CPU Die and the heatspreader. There is also a tCTL sensor that measures the offset. In short your temps are very good and you have no reason to worry. That is to say assuming these temps are under load and not at idle.

Not load, idle
but I noticed different reading in AMD Ryzen Master
it shows about 20C less, so my core temp is in the 30s

is core temp same Diode

30s is just fine, right?

Full load temps with offset on this Noctua cooler can go up to ~80°C. Real temps will be 20°C lower. Idle temps will be about ~50°C ( real without offset ~30°C ).
Also each motherboard can report a bit different temps. I've noticed that differences between motherboards are even up to 10°C.

Btw. still no info about new BIOS for my magical Biostar board :(

So is Aida givving me temp with offset??

From what I understand the CPU will begin to throttle its self around 95c. You want to keep the temps below 80c at full load. Personally I don't like to use idle temps as comparisons as in the past idle temps can be all over the map. Maybe Ryzen will be different but in reality if you're CPU is going to overheat it will be under load. I would recommend putting the CPU under full load with Intel Burn Test and use HWInfo64 as Johan suggested to check temps. I'm pretty sure HWInfo has removed the offset from the software to report the actual temp of the CPU.

I believe the Diode temp is what used to be the core temp. It's just located in a different place on the CPU. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Depends on motherboard AIDA64 works good or can't read everything. The same is with other soft. Just try 2-3 programs and check which one works for you. On ASUS board AIDA64 and hwinfo64 were working good. On Gigabyte hwinfo was better. On Biostar both are sometimes showing weird temps and voltages.
As I said, on your cooler temps should be near 30°C idle, 50°C mixed load ( games etc ), 60°C full load, all +/- 5°C. With offset it will be always +20°C but don't worry about it.
Ryzen Master is showing temp without offset so compare that to other programs.

thank you for all the help
really appreciated

just checked HWInfo
it shows 2 temps

Tctl average : 55-60
Tdie average: 35 - 40

the Tdie same reading as AMD Ryzen master, so this one is without the offset and the real reading, am I right?
and these r normal temps average, right?

I noticed an issue, whenever I start HWInfo or Ryzen master for a while , the temp goes really high, as 1 or 2 cores stop on maximum speed
when I close them , the temp drops

The temp reporting on Ryzen comes from sensors built into the CPU and there are many of them. It reports the highest temp at the time ... so when CPB /XFR is active it reports the temp from the hottest spot which would be the core that is in boost. This is pretty normal

Back