• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 3000 OC and voltage.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

Trying to find a 24/7 overclock without pushing voltages too high... on my R5 3600

Currently core voltage set at 1.35v, I've been going around forums, this seems to be a common max voltage... anyone agree/disagree with this?

So I have an asrock B450M PRO4 which unfortunately does not have LLC, So I am getting some vdroop...

Please see pictures, which i took while AIDA64 was running. voltages drops with some as low as 1.30v, also can see some higher voltages spikes of 1.456 and I've seen all the way up to 1.506 which aren't in this screenshot.

I'm stable currently but what do you feel about these voltages... any concerns with running 1.35 average and with spikes up to 1.506?

With AIDA64 my temps seem to max at 80c so thinking I'm good there.

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• hwinfo2.PNG
    hwinfo2.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 193
AMD typically has some higher voltage spikes. It's the load voltage which is important here and it's well within the suggested maximums.

Thanks for the reply, When you say well within the rated maximums.... Do you mind elaborating on what you see as suggested maximums?

I was looking at this below guide... but is for first gen Ryzen, not sure how much I should take for this 3rd gen chip....

https://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-overclocking-guide/

" Core Voltage: This is going to be your main concern. Raise core voltage for stabilizing the CPU also if you find you’re getting WHEA cache errors you’ll need to raise this voltage. The CPU core and cache are both fed from this rail, adding a bit more will stop the cache errors. AMD recommends 1.35 V for long term use. They also say that up to 1.45 V is acceptable but could affect the CPU’s longevity. In the end the choice is yours, personally I would split the difference and stay at 1.4 V or lower. "

^ wish AMD would give more specifics on voltages tolerates... like are these only underload voltages they are referring too or your vcore averages...

1.35 is generally considered the limit of safe static voltage for all Ryzens to date.

Thanks for the reply, When you say well within the rated maximums.... Do you mind elaborating on what you see as suggested maximums?

I was looking at this below guide... but is for first gen Ryzen, not sure how much I should take for this 3rd gen chip....

https://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-overclocking-guide/

" Core Voltage: This is going to be your main concern. Raise core voltage for stabilizing the CPU also if you find you’re getting WHEA cache errors you’ll need to raise this voltage. The CPU core and cache are both fed from this rail, adding a bit more will stop the cache errors. AMD recommends 1.35 V for long term use. They also say that up to 1.45 V is acceptable but could affect the CPU’s longevity. In the end the choice is yours, personally I would split the difference and stay at 1.4 V or lower. "

^ wish AMD would give more specifics on voltages tolerates... like are these only underload voltages they are referring too or your vcore averages...

The longevity of the CPU depends on more than just max voltage which is why AMD is a bit vague. Temperature plays a factor and so does your usage.
If you were going to run your PC flat out 24 hours a day I would stay on the lower side. If you have decent cooling and keep the CPU around 70-80 degrees instead of 95C for a few hours everyday then personally I would use more voltage. BUT I don't keep a CPU for 10 years either. It all comes down to what you want and how long you want to keep it.
I would still use up to 1.4V for daily operations with good cooling and after that you're not going to get much speed out of it anyway since the voltage requirements go up fairly quicky.

Thanks for explanation!

Other then me validating my pc with AIDA64... Gaming is really the only demanding thing I do and could see me keeping this system maybe as long as 5 years at longest. Have it set at 1.3625v just to be stable for another 25Mhz....4225. But under load with AIDA64 seems to be more around 1.325V. Thinking I'll call that my limit... Not sure how I feel without having LLC option enabled. Seems unbalanced with having consistence voltage at 1.3625v at low load all the time... but could be over worrying...

Back