• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 3600X temperature confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sbirstein

Registered
Good day/night to you all!
Just yesterday I finally finished messing with my water cooling and checked the results of all that fuss. Although everything seems more than OK, there is one thing that bothers me. Namely these Tctl and CPU Diode temps of the Ryzens. At idle they will stay within reasonable and expected margins (30-35*C) but when the CPU goes through a significant load they will jump quite high (70-80*C) very fast. It appears that the cooling is sufficient to keep up with the heat, I mean, after a 30 minute Prime95 Small FTT test the temperature curves stay flat. What worries me is that there is a significant difference between the reported CPU and Tctl temps and the latter is rather high. I couldn't find any clarification if this is an issue and what could be the cause so, please, if someone has an idea what's wrong I'd be grateful to be enlightened :) 119027738_2816148101948369_7030059436730088727_o.jpg

Thanks, EarthDog. But why the vast differnce? I am used to CPU Temp/CPU Core Temp delta of 10-15-20 degrees. Now-35-40. Or maybe I don't quite understand what Tctl or CPU Diode stand for. The reason I used aida was to see the curves and the dynamics of the temperatures.

Such an explanation is plausible, of course. My previous CPU was 2600X which mysteriously died, maybe I am a little paranoid because of that event. Anyways, thank you for your attention.

I always use HWInfo64 for AMD. As you can see here it combines the two and only gives one reading which is Tdie
When Ryzen was first launched AMD decided to put an offset on the temperature to ensure the fans would spin up and keep temps down to maximize the the CPU's boost potential.
The Tctl temp is the one used to report to the mobo fan controller and was typically 20°C higher than the tDIE reading.
The Tdie reading comes from numerous sensors embedded within the Ryzen CPU and always reports the highest reading from those sensors.
With the later generations of CPUs this offset was removed BUT I see you are using an older motherboard with a newer CPU and I am assuming that this is still your original Windows Insatllation from the previous CPU which died on you. That could explain why some software is still reporting with an offset. May also be a BIOS issue but stick with the Tdie for your actual temperature reading

Attachments

• hwinfo sept.JPG
    hwinfo sept.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 291
That's an interesting possibility. Otherwise, I use HWinfo extensively, my idea was to see how the temps were developing during the test, without staring at the monitor the entire time :D I was expecting steady climb and wanted to evaluate the capabilities of my WC. A graph is more convenient for me.
What caught my attention was that high CPU Diode temp. At the same time, the GPU temps were in the mid 20s, the CPU temp never exceeded 42-44*, the ambient temperature was 25.5. So I freaked out. A little. The previous CPU never behaved like that and it was overclocked.
Your theory can easily be right though. Thank you.

OK, after sifting through a lot of screenshots made by reviewers or troubled users, it seems that this is a normal phenomenon for the Ryzen 3000's. Times and things are changing, some things are unknowable, all we can do is adapt to the current reality, even if we don't quite understand it... :D

Back