• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 5 1400 reporting as Ryzen 5 1600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PapaFrizArcade

Hello all...

I am an overclockers of old ... after taking a nearly 14 year hiatus ... I am back! :)

Basically I know very little about what has happened over the last 14 years in the world of CPUs, GPUs, etc... and instead of diving right in, I decided to dip my toe in by picking up what I used to disdainfully call a "Pre-built Sh..box"... however I think I did decently well considering I didn't built it from the ground up. It's got a Gigabyte MB, 8GB of GEIL RAM, a Radeon RX 580, and what was advertised as an AMD Ryzen 5 1400...

Which brings me to my first PC question in years...

If this is a Ryzen 5 1600... why does EVERY SINGLE computer information software program I throw at it from CPU-Z to SiSoft Sandra to Speccy to even the AMD Ryzen Master software report the CPU as a Ryzen 5 1600?

From what I've read the 5-1600 has 16MB of L3 cache and the 5-1400 has 8MB of L3 cache.....

...this most definitely has only 8MB of L3 cache... but oddly, again, EVERY program reports it as a 5-1600...not a 5-1400?!

What's going on?

THANKS!

Can you post up a screenshot of CPU z? Have you tried AIDA64 to see what that reports for CPUID?
OP said:
why does EVERY SINGLE computer information software program I throw at it from CPU-Z to

Did you pick it up off Ebay?

Have you updated the BIOS on the board? What does the CPU actually say?

Can you post up a screenshot of CPU z? Have you tried AIDA64 to see what that reports for CPUID?

I bought the box from Best Buy... it's a CyberpowerPC $750 unit...

I will try AIDA64.

Here is the CPU-Z screenshot requested...

ScreenHunter 01.png

Last edited:
Yeah... I didn't notice the 2 x 8 part in the L3 cache there... I do believe that they screwed up (or ran out of 1400 parts) and dropped a 1600 in instead...

:D

I guess I can't complain...

:)

A quick update... after installing a Hyper 212 I dove in to overclocking this CPU. I can run stable at 3900 without even touching the dynamic voltages... rock solid. I've gotten it up to 4025 but I needed 1.4v... 4050 crashes prime after a number of minutes and anything less than 1.4v does the same at 4025. At 1.4v it ran prime95 torture test for 45 minutes without issue. I did notice quite an increase in core temps as I increased voltage (unsurprisingly).

Ultimately I decided that 3900 is a damn fine overclock with the dynamic voltage and decided to keep it... the CPU runs much cooler (63-64 degrees) versus as high as 82 degrees at 4025...

The bottom line is that I'm pretty damn impressed with this "pre-built crap-box" overall. 68FPS in Far Cry 5 with all the bells & whistles turned on @ 1080p (my monitors native resolution) for under $800 out the door isn't bad... at all.

Sounds good and it did turn out to be a 1600 which is a bonus. This is up to you but I have found when testing Ryzen with P95 it's a good idea to test it on custom and set about 75-80% of your available ram.

Back