• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 7000 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I’m running a 3700X and I’m looking to upgrade. I was going to upgrade to a 5000 series processor, but AMD quit selling high end processors with stock air coolers with the 5000 series (from the 5700x and up). Therefore, I thought I might as well upgrade to 7000 series since they are newer and they don’t come with coolers either.

My question is, what cooler do I use with 7000 series? I’d like to stay away from AIOs if possible. Leaks worry me. I’d like to avoid getting water on a brand new somewhat expensive x670 board that I would have to buy.

I know AMD said these processors are compatible with AM4 coolers. Has anyone tried/thought about running an aftermarket air cooler with a 7000 series processor yet? I’ve read that the Dark Rock Pro 4 will work, so I could go with that. Or should I wait for new coolers to come out that are built for AM5?

I wonder if companies like be quiet! will come out with a new cooler, since they assure us the Dark Rock cooler works with AM5? I guess they probably will eventually.

Buy the best that you can that fits into your budget and case ..... sorry you will have to do a little research. List a budget and a case maybe someone more into air coolers can give you a suggestion.

My question is, what cooler do I use with 7000 series? I’d like to stay away from AIOs if possible. Leaks worry me. I’d like to avoid getting water on a brand new somewhat expensive x670 board that I would have to buy.
Which new AM5 CPU are you looking at? The cooling requirements vary depending on the TDP of the processor.

Thanks. My case is in my signature. Fractal Arc Mini R2. I have no budget. I’d most likely go with ASUS x670E Gene, as that is the only mATX board I’ve seen so far. The ASRock board I have now was the only x570 mATX board there was, I believe. I’d also go with the R7 7700x. I don’t need the top end processor. 7700x will be good enough for gaming. My only issue is the cooler.

There won't be many new coolers as most of what is in stores already fit. Those that don't, will only get additional mounting kits. Most coolers are using a standard motherboard backplate. If you don't want AIO or any custom water then get something like Noctua NH-D15/S. Personally I like NH-U12A, which is not much worse but smaller. Top BeQuiet or other brands should be fine too.
More mATX mobos will be with B650E chipset. It supposed to be cheaper and so far specs look almost the same as for X670E.

It sounds like you really want to go with an AM5 system, which is awesome! I just want to point out that you can most likely use the same cooler from the 3700x on a 5800x and just drop in upgrade if that's what you really want to do. AM4 coolers*should* work on AM5 as long as they use the stock backplate. Because the AM5 CPU hold down is screwed into the backplate, mounting a cooler that does not use the stock backplate will require some modification. What cooler are you using currently?

You don't see many mATX on the x series because generally mATX is more of a budget friendly form factor. Mini-ITX boards should also work. But, of course it is also appropriate to consider if you need/want an x series motherboard vs a b series. Here is a breakdown on AMD's website: https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/am5

Do you expect to use PCIe5.0 for your GPU? Keeping in mind even RTX 4k GPUs do not support PICe5.0. The "E" designation marks a PCIe5.0 connection between the CPU and GPU. Do you expect to use PCIe5.0 for storage? All AM5 chipsets support 4.0 for GPU and only the B650 does not necessarily offer 5.0 support for storage (this is marked as optional by AMD). Other features vary in SATA ports, USB support and PCIe lanes.

Unlike Intel, the most expensive chipset is not required to get the most out of a particular chip. Generally, I would expect most boards to have adequate power delivery to support an 8 core CPU, while higher end boards may be required to support 12 or 16 core chips. Do your own research of course. By no means am I suggesting you "cheap out" on a motherboard, but you may find a board with more features you like or would use on a different chipset, and likely will not miss any of the features offered by the higher series chipsets. To me, the X chipsets seem more workstation oriented in their features, which aligns with a 12 or 16 core processor, meanwhile the B650 seems more gaming/home PC oriented.

Also don't forget you will need to also purchase new memory for an AM5 system, as they are DDR5 only.

It sounds like you really want to go with an AM5 system, which is awesome! I just want to point out that you can most likely use the same cooler from the 3700x on a 5800x and just drop in upgrade if that's what you really want to do. AM4 coolers*should* work on AM5 as long as they use the stock backplate. Because the AM5 CPU hold down is screwed into the backplate, mounting a cooler that does not use the stock backplate will require some modification. What cooler are you using currently?

You don't see many mATX on the x series because generally mATX is more of a budget friendly form factor. Mini-ITX boards should also work. But, of course it is also appropriate to consider if you need/want an x series motherboard vs a b series. Here is a breakdown on AMD's website: https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/am5

Do you expect to use PCIe5.0 for your GPU? Keeping in mind even RTX 4k GPUs do not support PICe5.0. The "E" designation marks a PCIe5.0 connection between the CPU and GPU. Do you expect to use PCIe5.0 for storage? All AM5 chipsets support 4.0 for GPU and only the B650 does not necessarily offer 5.0 support for storage (this is marked as optional by AMD). Other features vary in SATA ports, USB support and PCIe lanes.

Unlike Intel, the most expensive chipset is not required to get the most out of a particular chip. Generally, I would expect most boards to have adequate power delivery to support an 8 core CPU, while higher end boards may be required to support 12 or 16 core chips. Do your own research of course. By no means am I suggesting you "cheap out" on a motherboard, but you may find a board with more features you like or would use on a different chipset, and likely will not miss any of the features offered by the higher series chipsets. To me, the X chipsets seem more workstation oriented in their features, which aligns with a 12 or 16 core processor, meanwhile the B650 seems more gaming/home PC oriented.

Also don't forget you will need to also purchase new memory for an AM5 system, as they are DDR5 only.
A lot of great questions. Yes, I am looking to upgrade my GPU to RX 7000 depending on availability. I will skip RTX. Either RX 7000 or 6000. I will not use PCIe 5.0 for storage. I could wait for a b650 board. I’ve never got anything besides top of the line (x series boards) when I built a new system, but I will look into b650 boards when they get released. I don’t think I’ve used all the features of an x board, so a b650 board should work. I know I will need new memory when I buy a new system. Thanks.

I’m running a 3700X and I’m looking to upgrade. I was going to upgrade to a 5000 series processor, but AMD quit selling high end processors with stock air coolers with the 5000 series (from the 5700x and up). Therefore, I thought I might as well upgrade to 7000 series since they are newer and they don’t come with coolers either.

I know AMD said these processors are compatible with AM4 coolers. Has anyone tried/thought about running an aftermarket air cooler with a 7000 series processor yet? I’ve read that the Dark Rock Pro 4 will work, so I could go with that. Or should I wait for new coolers to come out that are built for AM5?

I wonder if companies like be quiet! will come out with a new cooler, since they assure us the Dark Rock cooler works with AM5? I guess they probably will eventually.
It just did fit in my case.

be quiet! DARK ROCK TF2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221008-190648_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221008-190648_Gallery.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20221009-010021_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-010021_Messenger.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back