• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S3 Deltachrome benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hilts

NewbiePerson

unless its under $75 i don't think anyone would buy it. That card pretty much gets owned. Since it's not coming out til 2004 that means it will have very little time on the market due to new video cards being released, which will probably drop a 5900 or 9700 to like $150.
If it came out when ati just released their 9xxx product line it might have seemed ok to buy. Now it doesn't even with the 8 pipelines it still suffers from al due to its supersampling.
A generation late.

Overclocker550

wow thats sad. 2400 marks in 3dmark 2003, this places it at 9600 NON pro levels! in nascar 2003 the ti4200 is at or near the top and the deltachrome is at rock bottom! In halo, the deltachrome is 2nd place but gets owned by a 9600xt. in quake3 the ti4200 owns the 9600xt and is MORE than double the deltachrome's speed!!!!!!!! in ut2003 the ti4200 eats the poor deltachrome. I am supprised the 9600xt eats the ti4200 seeing that games cpu intensive, I guess the 9600xt's extra ram bandwith helps it out. in splintercell the ti4200 is double the deltachrome!

their opinion:

The S8 board we tested with today is aimed to compete at the low-end of the mainstream segment, think RADEON 9500/RADEON 9600 and GeForce FX 5600/GeForce FX 5700. This card will not be competing with RADEON 9600 PRO/XT or GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

my opinion: youd be much, much better of getting a ti4200 or 9600 pro instead.......

OP
Captain Hilts

Captain Hilts

It doesn't look all that bad. The articles do indicate that this is supposed to compete with the 9600 and 5600, not the 9600 Pro and XT. In that case, it doesn't do too badly. Furthermore, the OpenGL performance still needs to be tweaked and should be a lot better than it currently shows. Clearly they need to improve a lot with the drivers but that's expected for a card that has not yet even been released.

Overall, I don't expect them to make much of a dent, especially due to the lack of board partners (XGI is much better so far in that respect). But you can see that there is at least some potential. Considering that the card is only clocked at 300/300, clockspeed ramps and a better memory controller, along with improved drivers, should help a lot. It's also a good sign that the heatsink and fan are so small, it runs cool and the power requirements are low. That would suggest that there is still a lot of room for ramping up the speeds of the core.

Aslan

It's not too terrible, the performance is pretty decent considering that it's the first generation of this particular card, and I doubt they expect it to sell much anyhow.

As Captain Hilts mentioned, the small amount of cooling needed indicates that the Deltachrome chipset seems to have a lot of headroom and potential, which could show itself in the next generation, and prove to be a legit competitor to ATi and nVidia.

NewbiePerson

don't forget its nearly impossible to use antilasing with that card in fact in the drivers it only goes to 2x.
A gf3 handles antilasing better than that card.
It does some stuff good but it doesn't do other stuff good. It's antilasing abilities will always be low though (it uses supersampling). So your really better off with a 9600np or gf4 ti.
In return it may beat a ti in some benchmarks but turn al on and the ti or any other of its competitor cards and they will leave it crying to its moma.
So unless the top version of the entire line is a solid $20-30 below a gf4 or 9600np then its not worth it.
Thats what made the 9500pro so popular. It essentially did the same as a ti4200 without al and af, turn it on and it got double what the ti could get.

Alacritan

Well at least they demostrated that the card works. I was wondering when it was ever going to come out. Now we know: Way the hell too late.

But maybe they'll produce something better in a few months with double the clock speed and the like. I mean, they couldn't possibly think they'll be even remotely profitable with that piece of crap could they?

Overclocker550

the deltachrome is way too little and too late. and without good aa/af a ti4200 is much better anyday and way faster

FIZZ3

Some of the reviews cloud the issue by not including older series cards, GF4 for example.
In the Firingsquad charts there is some more reference and then it becomes painfully clear how poor this card performes even compared to cards that are 1 year old. Even some "new and shiny with a BIG type number" cards perform quite shabby compared to older designs. Budget cards are crippled so much as to be a step backwards in many cases. And yes, it's sad that the S3 does not even reach that low level.

harryinny3

Thats there S3 Offering

In the first reviews out about a month and a half ago they said it would be there low end card. Now to compete with the higher end offerings of ATI and NV There Volari V8 duel will do so. Im Still waiting for New benches on that card when released. The V8 cards tested before were refrence cards and Had no active cooling. Drivers were not finale neither. Until then ill wait to pass Judgment.

The S3 isnt that bad as of now. Im quite sure a Driver tweek will help. Why not, the Others do it.

Harry

Bailey

I'd be absolutely stunned if S3 got the card fully functional with an piece of software. I remember their drivers as being the buggiest of anyone's.

Unless that card sells for $50 who the hell wants it? With 9600's in the mid to low 100's, the 5900nu's in the high 100's, and 9700's just over $200 I see no market for this card.

harryinny3

I have a 9600,

And Dont want a DC. Just pointing out THIS card isnt out. And there Duel V8 was pretty dang close in early benches. Even without Active cooling. As for drivers, What do you think NV has been doing? Why shouldnt they? I personally wouldnt, but Hey Why not?

Until Someone Has a Retail card to test I will withhold Judgement.

Harry

FIZZ3

Re: I have a 9600,

harryinny3 said:
And Dont want a DC. Just pointing out THIS card isnt out. And there Duel V8 was pretty dang close in early benches. Even without Active cooling. As for drivers, What do you think NV has been doing? Why shouldnt they? I personally wouldnt, but Hey Why not?

Until Someone Has a Retail card to test I will withhold Judgement.

Harry

The XGI volari is not produced by S3, however. XGI is a company that was founded by some sort of fusion between SiS' graphics division and Trident. S3 is currently owned by VIA technologies.

harryinny3

My Bad

I thought for sure Volari was A via Breakoff. So its sis? Could have sworn that in the Review a moth and a half ago they said there Low range cards were S3 and S4. Ill look up the thread and post the old review if It is indeed a VIA deal.

Harry

OP
Captain Hilts

Captain Hilts

S3's low end card is the S4 and 'their' higher end card is the S8. XGI has the Volari V8, V5 and I believe the V3 (which is actually based on the Trident XP4 or whatever it's called). XGI and S3 have nothing to do with eachother.

Alacritan

I thought XGI was SiS renamed. I was pretty certain about that.

S3 is just S3 and has been around for a while. S3TC was their claim to fame, which I think debuted with the S3 Virge. I don't really remember. All I remember was that their own card was outperformed by Nvidia at their own texture compression technology.

OP
Captain Hilts

Captain Hilts

SiS did not rename themselves XGI, they actually spun the graphics unit off into its own company, which then proceeded to merge with Trident's graphics division (like someone mentioned earlier).

S3 is just the same S3 as before either, as they are now backed by VIA.