• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth powers on then off - No Post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SouthSeaPirate

Registered
As the title states, I have a Sabertooth board that wont post. No video or beeps.
Red LED indicator lights on CPU, then to Mem OK, then CPU again followed by an instant off.

Tested all components on another working Gigabyte board and it worked perfectly (actually even better because the 9590 seemed a bit unstable).
Used 3x PSU's, 3x Video Cards, 2x CPU's, 3x Cases, and cleared CMOS; all were the same result on the Saber.

Running with 8120, Corsiar 750w (other previous PSU as well), Vengence 4x4gb, XFX 7770. Worked with this configuration for at least 2 years, then one day this no post symptom.

What led to this. Just normal shut down??
Which revision of Sabertooth is it R2.0?

The R2.0 will have that right on the box. It also says it after sabertooth between the PCI slots

It'll make a difference.
The other question though was what happened if anything before it wouldn't post any more

The R2.0 will have that right on the box. It also says it after sabertooth between the PCI slots

It'll make a difference.
The other question though was what happened if anything before it wouldn't post any more

Mine says 990FX no R2.0. Like this; http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/sabertooth-990fx/board.jpg

Nothing happened beforehand, no changes that I can remember. Was working great, then suddenly one morning; no post.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I see, in small print, that image shows rev 1.01.
Im not home atm so I will check MY board when I get in.

If clearing the CMOS doesn't work and you've swapped out all the parts and they check out fine then one last thing I would try is the ASUS crash free. You'll find instruction in your manual. This will write a new BIOS to the chip. If that doesn't work get a hold of ASUS. Should be under warranty still. Pretty sure they were 5 years

EDIT: you can always try an extended BIOS clear. remove the battery overnight with the clr jumper set .then put it back and install the battery. Cross your fingers

If clearing the CMOS doesn't work and you've swapped out all the parts and they check out fine then one last thing I would try is the ASUS crash free. You'll find instruction in your manual. This will write a new BIOS to the chip. If that doesn't work get a hold of ASUS. Should be under warranty still. Pretty sure they were 5 years

EDIT: you can always try an extended BIOS clear. remove the battery overnight with the clr jumper set .then put it back and install the battery. Cross your fingers

I was not aware of this crash free; unfortunately I no longer have my manual. Im going to GoogleFu this.
Ill also try the extended clear. Never really thought about that, but should have considering how long that LED stays on after power has been removed.

As for ASUS, they are useless. I have already RMA'ed it. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

They may be useless but it's cheaper than a new board

Bios update. If you've never done it and being that the 8120 runs on it you're probably on 0813. You need 1102 or better for that 9xxx series chip.
This is for a R1 board.
R2 will be a similar issue issue, just a different bios revision.

They may be useless but it's cheaper than a new board

So what do I do? Send it again and hope they actually do something?
Im out $14 for shipping, two week without a rig, and wasted yesterday evening getting it all nice and tidy in a new case.. followed by troubleshooting once again.

Bios update. If you've never done it and being that the 8120 runs on it you're probably on 0813. You need 1102 or better for that 9xxx series chip.
This is for a R1 board.
R2 will be a similar issue issue, just a different bios revision.

Needed the new BIOS just to run my 8120. Also, I didn't try the 9590 on the board (I used my CPU in place of the 9590 on the known good rig). The CPU used to test on the Saber was and is still in my server. Also, it was the one I had to use to originally update the BIOS so it would actually take the 8120 ;)

Last I checked it was the newest BIOS available for the board. Wasnt too long ago but I can't remember the number I was using right off hand.

and wasted yesterday evening getting it all nice and tidy in a new case.

If you moved it to a new case and then had this problem. I would be looking that way first. Poor connection somewhere. Possible short/grounding issue. Maybe have to pull it out and build it on a box/table then see if it works. I have even seen someone plug a PCIe connector into the 12vEPS before. Once they put the right CPU line into it it fired right up.

Needed the new BIOS just to run my 8120. Also, I didn't try the 9590 on the board (I used my CPU in place of the 9590 on the known good rig). The CPU used to test on the Saber was and is still in my server. Also, it was the one I had to use to originally update the BIOS so it would actually take the 8120 ;)

Last I checked it was the newest BIOS available for the board. Wasnt too long ago but I can't remember the number I was using right off hand.

Might have been good to know all of that in the first post.
Not gonna pull teeth for info.

If you moved it to a new case and then had this problem. I would be looking that way first. Poor connection somewhere. Possible short/grounding issue. Maybe have to pull it out and build it on a box/table then see if it works. I have even seen someone plug a PCIe connector into the 12vEPS before. Once they put the right CPU line into it it fired right up.

Again, nothing changed when the symptom first occurred (case #1; which is 100% acrylic). Case #2 was an old gutted ATX beige box (post issue). The newest NZXT H440 is post RMA. Could be my luck I suppose. Ill get it on the bench today, as this point looks like it will have to come out anyway.
What do you mean by right CPU line? Im pretty certain the PSU's are fine. All three worked in the Gigabyte board, none work on the Saber. Maybe Im misunderstanding.

Might have been good to know all of that in the first post.
Not gonna pull teeth for info.

It was... "Running with 8120"... "Worked with this configuration for at least 2 years, then one day this no post symptom."
No need to get an attitude. My bad I forgot to mention every little detail. I figured the above would have made necessary info clear.
The point of the additional detail was to inform that I am capable of testing with known good components and to make it clear that I never tested with the 9590 (which I never said I did either...).

I thought you moved it to a new case then the issue started hence the complaint of getting it tidy etc.. like it was a waste of time.
12v CPU eps cable and PCIE 8 pin cable look a lot alike and apparently they will plug into the CPU 12v eps connection on the board

I see.
So it quit with the 8120 still in it.
This was not clear in the first post.
Every detail counts in trouble shooting, especially when you don't have it right in front of you.

I thought you moved it to a new case then the issue started hence the complaint of getting it tidy etc.. like it was a waste of time.
12v CPU eps cable and PCIE 8 pin cable look a lot alike and apparently they will plug into the CPU 12v eps connection on the board

No sorry that was another story. I bought all new for myself (which just came in the other day). I had spent yesterday putting everything in a new case for my fiance and spend that extra time making it an nice as possible. She (and I) was excited right up until I believed ASUS didn't fix it. I was quite aggravated losing out on an opportunity to get to game with the lady of the house once again. I was just hoping I was doing something wrong, but just can't figure it out.

The current PSU is semi-modular; the 8-pin for the CPU is permanently attached to the box. So at least with this one, I know I couldn't get it backwards. Im taking your suggestions and benching it. With that I will try another PSU (paying special attention to the 8Pin), along with trying that crash free BIOS. If I can get beyond that I will make sure the BIOS is up to date as Scotty mentioned.

I see.
So it quit with the 8120 still in it.
This was not clear in the first post.
Every detail counts in trouble shooting, especially when you don't have it right in front of you.

I tried my best at explaining. Sometimes it's easy to miss it as some, like me, explain the same thing but in a different way.
Yes, it quit with the 8120; it, along with all other components tested good in another rig.
Really, nothing recently changed up to that point. That is especially true for main hardware.

Last edited:
All good man. Water under the bridge. Seriously though, if Asus sent you a board, it was probably a refurb. It may not have an updated bios on it. Unless you marked the board you originally sent in some way, you would never know.

All good man. Water under the bridge. Seriously though, if Asus sent you a board, it was probably a refurb. It may not have an updated bios on it. Unless you marked the board you originally sent in some way, you would never know.

I think you may be on to something here as I remember thinking when it came in that the numbers looked different and that I didnt remember marking it with a pen. I just shrugged it off as it's just in my head. Never even thought it could have been a different board. DOH!
Think the first thing Im gonna try is that old CPU again and see if I can get post. I so hope you're right!

Alright guys, did all suggested (except crash free).

While waiting till this morning for the 'extended CMOS clear', last night I went ahead and talked with ASUS.
They are at least trying to make it right and sent me a paid shipping label.
So only out my time this round.

Obviously all attempts has failed.
Also, side note, it is my original board.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Will update.

Back