• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe to add a higher flow fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I'm using a GeminII on my q9550, and I have it at 3.2ghz and the cores are hovering around 60c (yeah, I know those temps are still safe) but I'm planning on going higher am currently using the stock fan on the heatsink, which I believe is 25mm thick. I'm thinking of upgrading to a faster one, but do to my case design it's parallel to my PSU fan and there's maybe a 1/2" gap between them to let air flow to both fans.

My question is is it safe to get a faster fan that is also 25mm thick or would I be better off looking for a slightly thinner fan?

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Thinner means less pressure and, consequently, less flow. The clearance you have now is little, but I would suggest staying with 25mm fans that are higher speed.

Overall, you should either look at a different heatsink (that one is 'ok') or modify the case to improve the airflow and reduce restriction.

OP
freakdiablo
Thinner means less pressure and, consequently, less flow. The clearance you have now is little, but I would suggest staying with 25mm fans that are higher speed.

Overall, you should either look at a different heatsink (that one is 'ok') or modify the case to improve the airflow and reduce restriction.

I guess that means finding a way to modify the case. The way the case and motherboard are laid out, this is one of the better heatsinks I found that still fit. One of these days I may just end up getting a mid tower, the problems I'm having with a mATX setup are starting to out way the benefits.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I guess that means finding a way to modify the case. The way the case and motherboard are laid out, this is one of the better heatsinks I found that still fit. One of these days I may just end up getting a mid tower, the problems I'm having with a mATX setup are starting to out way the benefits.
Yeah, that case doesn't have a lot of room. If you are looking at just changing the case for cheap, check out the Antec 300. Great case and I paid $50 for my first one and nothing for my second (Newegg deal). I would buy it again. :)

OP
freakdiablo
Yeah, that case doesn't have a lot of room. If you are looking at just changing the case for cheap, check out the Antec 300. Great case and I paid $50 for my first one and nothing for my second (Newegg deal). I would buy it again. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Got a 300 illusion off newegg. $10 off plus free shipping. Chose it over the normal 300 since it came with 3 120mm fans over the one in the normal one even though I'll upgrade them over time.

Last edited: