• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe to update ROG Crosshair VI Hero bios from super old 3008 to new 8601? (AMD fTPM issue fix)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuantumCookie

Registered
I looked at the bios descriptions for each and every bios version after 3008, but could find nothing indicating any requirement of having install any of them in some order.
It sort of looks like I can just flash my bios from old 3008 straight to 8601.

It isn't entirely clear to me if the AMD fTPM issue is also affecting The first Ryzen 8 core1800x cpu, but it wouldn't surprise me.
A quick search online seem to claim that the issue is limited to second gen Ryzen, but maybe that is not true, no idea.

Anyone know about the AMD fTPM issue and if this affects the first Ryzen 8 core 1800x cpu?
And if it should be safe to flash to the latest bios for this AMD fTPM issue fix?

"The issue impacts AM4 systems that run the Zen+ to Zen 3 architectures."
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-issues-fix-and-workaround-for-ftpm-stuttering-issues

At this point you might be wondering if I ever see this issue, and frankly I can't tell. No idea how frequent this issue would be, and my computer is always a little weird anyway, so hard to single out something like this. Only thing I can think of atm, is an old Squad issue, with shadows higher than 'low' had this weird stuttering happening frequency, and happening more often the higher the shadow quality was set (e.g high, over medium). I always play with shadows with low, so perhaps that other issue is still "there". *shrugs* The stuttering only happened periodically, but pretty much repeatedly, a few seconds of things flowing nicely, and then stuttering, repeat ad nauseam.

Last edited:
IIRC that board has the BIOS flashback option so even IF there was an issue you can flash back to the older BIOS. You should be fine just make sure you have both files available if that PC goes down.

Usually, when the manufacturer doesn't clearly say that you need a specific BIOS version before the flash, then it's not required. ASUS often adds info that you need at least an xx.xx version to use the latest BIOS. Then you need to flash it to something in between and next to the last version. I guess it was mainly on Intel motherboards that required a ME update for new CPUs.
Other than that, it seems safe, as Johan said. In the worst case, you make BIOS recovery ... or flash the latest version.

Back