• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe V-Core for 2600+ Barton?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeeteeare

Registered
Is the 10-15% rule universal when I comes to raising the v-core?

I have a stock running 2600+ Barton, with a Thermalright SLK-900A, drawing off an Antec True-Power 450W PSU, currently operating at ~30c idle, >40c load.

I wanna turn this ***** up, but after I fried my last CPU and ATI 9600Pro :cry: last week, due to bumping the vcore too much and/or my crappy 350W "Came-with-the-case" PSU, I'm a little fearful now as to how far I can go.

nealric

Not really, I suppose it all depends how much you are willing to risk.
I highly doubt too much cpu vcore killed your vid card- in fact its next to impossible.

With your cooling I would max out at 1.85v daily or 1.9 for benchmarking. You could go up to about 2v with subambient cooling.

OP
J

jeeteeare

Registered
OK thanks for the info.

As far as the vid card goes, I think the increased vcore had at least an indirect responsibility for its demise. The only thing I can think of is because I put so much stress on the 350W PSU, (overclocking CPU and GPU, raised vcore, 4 case fans, 1 big Tornado HSU fan, GPU silencer, etc.) that my PSU decided that it had had enough, and took my CPU and vid card with it. I HOPE thats what happened, anyway.

Docta_Z

Two things damage a cpu chip through normal operation. Temperature and electron migration (and I guess falling if you plan on dropping it ;) )

Electronic migration occurs more often as you set volt core higher, but doesn't happen significantly at lower temperatures.

High temps can hurt the core because they speed up em and I believe stress the connections.

So when it really comes down to it, the safe vcore of a chip depends on the type of cooling you have on the chip, and the temperatures the chip runs at at idle/load.

nealric is right... I haven't heard of voltage killing an agp card or memory in a while.