• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Salvage Celeron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
Hey guys,

I built a new computer for my friend last night, and she gave me her old one for salvage. It is a Celeron 333 on some kind of micro ATX mobo.

I just have one general question because I am normally an AMD person: what sort of potential does this Celeron have for overclocking? It is just a general question, I will dig into the guts of this thing later today, after work...

Thanks,
flounder43

Cool, I did notice that the bios allows fsb adjustments...if I am correct, then, 66x5=333, so if I can do 100fsb , 500 is a possibility. That would be nice for another folder.

How important is cooling to these Celerons? The hsf is stock, and I need to clean it, but don't have anything else for this type of socket...

Last edited:
Actually 5X66=333 MHz and 5X100=500 Mhz. Definitely use a good thermal paste and you might need to bump voltage up to 2.1v or 2.2v. Those old Celerons are usually fairly tolerant to heat, but as with any CPU, the cooler you run it, the higher it will overclock. If it's a socket 370 PPGA chip (some were slot 1), then most of the Coppermine socket 370 coolers will work. If you upgrade the cooling, then 2.3v is probably ok, if needed to reach 500 MHz.

Oops, yeah, I meant 5x66...

Cool, thanks for the advice...What is stock voltage?

Yeah, it is a socket...

Default voltage on my old Celeron 300a was 2.0v, I think the C-333 were the same. My old C-300 ran at 450 MHz for 1-1/2 years.

I have a 333 slot1 celeron thatll do 500MHz but locks up cause it reaches 49 degrees! too hot to touch heatsink! see my sig. the 366 slot1 makes far less heat. weird. anyways you can expect 416MHz

I put cpufsb on the Celeron and it runs nicely at 84fsb, which works out to 420...
Not bad.

Back