• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samba??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
I'm currently running Mandrake 8.2. I'm a total newbie and have been reading for the past couple of weeks. I've downloaded Samba...but its French to me. How do I go about installing it so I can see the other nodes on my p2p network? I'm online fine just cant see my network. Thanks. Also could you please post some more help guides. I'm probably gonna take a course over the summer or fall, its new at my school and I cant wait.

turnip_01

Registered
you can make a quick start up script to mount them too.
make a file called S50netmnt
add these lines to it

#!/bin/sh

mount -t smbfs -o username=whoever,password=password //netbiosname/sharename /mountpoint

put in an rc directory if mandrake uses them

PolyPill

turnip_01 said:
you can make a quick start up script to mount them too.
make a file called S50netmnt
add these lines to it

#!/bin/sh

mount -t smbfs -o username=whoever,password=password //netbiosname/sharename /mountpoint

put in an rc directory if mandrake uses them

You really should avoid doing things like that. It really isn't very "clean linuxing" There's a reason for the /etc/fstab, and that's to mount devices, so why not use it? You're not making .bat scripts to set up your network in windows. Also, if it's in the /etc/fstab you can mount/unmount easier and things link nautilus will add it to the mount menu.